sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Grand cherokee: Hello

Hello
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It looks like some of your post is missing. What kind of problem are you having?

You mentioned cleaning the shift module, are you setting a fault code for the electronic shifter module (ESM)? The ESM is in the shifter assembly and they have given some problems here and there, replacement of the ESM is almost always necessary.

Please let me know what kind of problem you're having and any fault codes that are stored and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, am sorry I didn't answer earlier, I was driving from Germany to UK. My question was the same as the one which was talked about on this site. When I brake sometimes, and the transmission shifts down from 2nd to 1st, it gives a clunk or even a bang sometimes, as if the car goes to neutral and then sets it in to 1st. Also the manual shift barely responses, when I shift down, no matter how slow I am driving, it shows me first 4 gear and then I have to shift down to the gear I think the car is in, as when I am going 10 mph, the car is not in 4th, when trying to shift, it is very slow and sometimes it feels like it just doesn't react.

I had the car serviced last week at the dealership, they done the 60.000 mile service, changed the oil in transmission and filter. They said they got failure codes and said that the shiftmodule neded to be changed, but I refused as I had the car for only a few days and I didn't notice any problems with the transmission.

Sorry for such a long explanation, but the question is, can the shit module cause these clunks?

Regards

It sounds like they found a fault code for the electronic shifter module which is inside the shifter. The ESM can definitely cause your problem and is what I expected you had going on. If they found communication codes for the ESM then I'd agree with their diagnosis that it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the answer. Are you sure it can't be anything with them not filling enough transmission oil ? It's like it right before going from second to first , it goes to neutral, then it slams it into first. But again, I drove today, and it didn't do it.

Thanks in advance

Feodor

If the trans fluid is low it can definitely cause slippage and put the trans into limp-in, but it was doing this before the trans was serviced, correct? If so then I doubt it's related to fluid level. If it was related to fluid level then it would have set gear ratio error codes, and it sounds like the code set was for ESM communication.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No actually, it didn't do it before, I had the car for a week or so and it drove fine. One other thing which it does, it when setting off, it will start in 1st gear, but then as if it hesitates and the rpms go higher, I am not sure what slippage means, but the car started doing after their transmission oil change. For sure it didn't do it at all before. I hope you understand what I mean. The shifter might not be sending the right info to the computer, but it didn't act this way when setting of in the 1st gear, nor did it bang when braking and going from 2nd to 1st gear. Can this be because of they filled too little or too much oil ?

thanks in advance

If the fluid was low then the problem should have shown up right away after the service rather than waiting a week.

If you're in doubt about the diagnosis at this shop the best thing to do would be to bring it to another shop or dealer and have them check it out. They will be able to check the fluid and see if it's low and also see what fault codes are stored, whether they're gear ratio error codes or for the ESM.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist