Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
29331485

cherokee: Ron: I have a 2002 Jeep cherokee, while driving it

Customer Question

Ron: I have a 2002 Jeep cherokee, while driving it just stalls, all electrics stay on and it takes a while to crank engine over, replaced 2 crankshaft position sensors, cam sensor fuel pump and filter, yet it still stalls with a P0320 code. Should I now just change out the computer chip? I am out of ideas and options and all I can find on forums is change crank and cam sensors
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi did you use aftermarket or original sensors .

Did you first check that the crankshaft circuit is working correctly , sensor could be okay but the wiring circuit could be damaged or as you suspect a bad PCM.

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They were after market products and everything tests ok, but problem persists.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a scan tool with live date .

We need to know if you are getting crank reference at the PCM .

I would like it if you had replaced the two sensors Cam and crank sensors with originals, as i have personally had a problem with after market sensors where one was not working . but if you have the scan tool to check the cranking signal on the live date this would help.

Here are Possible Causes for the P0320 code

Camshaft Position Sensor Signal
Intermittent CKP Sensor Signal
5-Volt Supply Circuit Shorted To Ground
5-Volt Supply Circuit Open
5-Volt Supply Circuit Shorted To Voltage
CKP Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted Ground
CKP Sensor Signal Circuit Open
CKP Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted To Voltage
CKP Sensor Signal Shorted To 5-Volt Supply Circuit
Crankshaft Sensor Ground Circuit Open
Crankshaft Position Sensor
PCM - CKP Sensor Signal
PCM - 5-Volt Supply

Measure the voltage at the 5-Volt Supply circuit on the CKP Sensor harness connector, voltage should be between 4.5 and 5.5 volts? switch on the ignition first and disconnect the sensor plug.can not remember which one it was but one of the three should have this voltage .Probably will have or your car would not start ,so check when you have a no starting period .

If you have all the voltage needed and the wiring harness is not damaged then try an original sensors still having issue then you may have a problem with the PCM.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Greg, Technician
Experience: maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gregg:
OK I switched out cam shaft sensor, crank shaft position sensor and the computer. All failed until I put in the new computer (by a jeep dealer), the problem resolved for about a week and a half and began stalling again with code of p0320. Out of ideas.. HELP

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray when it stalls will it start right back up .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg: It takes a few cranks after waiting about 3 minutes than starts and seems to run fine
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Okay watch the Rev counter next time it will not start does the rev counter show 250rpm or is it dead.

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not much of a mechanic. What is the rev counter ?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray

The dial on the side of the speedometer that shows you the engine speed.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, OK THE YACH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, OK the Tach. I will let you know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg: I ended up taking jeep to dealer and having computer replaced.
Problem resolved for a week and a half, code came back and jeep stalling
again.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray ..

I think this is a wiring harness issue , if the sensors and ECM have been replaced then the wiring harness or connections are the problem .

UNLESS you have a bad fly wheel ,this should be checked , but i'm more towards \ bad connection or harness issue .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wiring harness is an expensive fix, right ?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ray

No need to replace the complete harness, just the signal line from the sensor to the ECM ,the power feed wire ,and the sensor ground .
With a scan tool and with the engine running a wiggle test should be done to see where the problem might be .

Rgds Greg