As it apears, the starter is not accessible to put a meter on the wires at the starter, I removed the inner wheel liner to access and see the starter, others suggest that it may be necessary to cut the wire to the starter in the removal of the starter, then fix the cut wire. It also may be necessary to drop down the 4 x 4 drive shaft that is right at the underside of the starter.
I have the Haynes repair manual and see how to mark position of drive shaft at both ends and drop out the shaft and also the cross over exhaust.
I am hoping after getting those two items out that the starter can be pulled.
On batter terminal cables, my wife's Mercury sable showed acid leaking at the top and corroded the crap out of the positive termial cable, battery was also hot to touch. I replaced the cables and acid leaking stopped.
With the Jeep the cables look fine, but, the engine compartment and all items inside engine area like the battery remain damn hot all day. I noticed that the plastic heat shields over the wires fall apart when you touch them. I noticed this when I replaced the 16 spark plugs at 70k miles.
Would battery terminal wires that look fine with no corrosion need to be replaced? It is just that Chrysler, I can't believe how hot is stays under the hood for so long.
I will be looking into the starter over the weekend, but didn't want to do it without your advisement first.
Since the problem is intermittent, like today, went to the store, no problem, after 1 hour came out and had starting issue, Click followed by nothing then like a slot machine, dropped the key back and then turned again and it started. But because I put a new battery in it looked like a charging issue. Looking fwd to reply to this and I will let you know how the starter went. Do you recommend brands or rebuilt unit providers?