sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

liberty: is a 2006 jeep liberty engine a direct swap into a

Customer Question

is a 2006 jeep liberty engine a direct swap into a 2005?the interchange numbers are the same,but I'm hearing an 05 has to have an 05 engine.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for requesting me!

The 2005 and 2006 engines will interchange with no problem, the interchange information that you looked at is correct. I've checked the part number and the same long block part number is XXXXX for the 2005 and 2006 model year vehicles. An older or newer engine than this won't interchange but you'll be fine putting the 2006 engine in your 2005.

Please rate my performance only when you are happy with my help. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my performance with at least OK Service or better please click the Reply to Expert link and let me know any further questions that you have.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took your advise and bought an engine that the seller says is a 2006. When i got the engine, I found that there were many differnces to include: wiring harness, intake manifold, throttle body and it has an egr valve on the left head. My 2005 does not.

The engine bolck cast number is: 53021934aa. As near as I can tell, this is an 07 or 08. Is that correct?

Can i swap my inatake manifold and wiring harness from the 05 to this engine and will it work?

I need to know quickly as I may have to return the engine.
Is it possible to get the VIN of the vehicle the engine came from? It may even be on a tag strapped to the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tag, I looked up the casting number into a google search and came up with a couple things that indicate it is a 2008. Is the egr valve on the left head in a 2006?
The EGR valve would be on the left head on any 3.7 engine with EGR.

Casting numbers aren't used in any parts reference through Chrysler out in the field. This is a casting number rather than a part number so it also isn't recognized in a catalog. Rock Auto is showing this casting number being used back to 2006 model year so I think you are ok. What I had looked up when we first talked was the engine itself, the long block (block and heads). External components may be different depending on application but the long block shows to be the same in 2005 and 6.

The heads were commonized and all later heads were drilled for EGR, when using a replacement head on a non EGR engine a block off plate has to be installed.

As long as the engine itself is the correct year then you'll be able to swap all the external components over. What specific differences are you seeing with the throttle body, wiring, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The throttle body on the engine they sent me is electronically controlled. My old engine 2005, has a mechanical linkage
I wondered if that's what you were seeing because the mechanical throttle bodies were all essentially the same. The electronic throttle body wasn't used until 2007 - you do have the wrong year engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
You're welcome!