Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

jeep wrangler: I broke the keying mechanism and tumblers in

I broke the keying mechanism and tumblers in my '89 Jeep Wrangler. I want to put switches and a button in the place of the key. it's just my toy. I did this before to my Cherokee and I liked it. Please draw me a diagram, that is color coded hopefully, laying out what wires do what so that I may wire this on my Wrangler like my Cherokee.

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Here is a diagram of the ignition switch. The solid Red wire is the main power from the battery. That wire will supply power to your "new" switch. Then the Violet wires and Orange wires will connect to the other side of your new switch to turn on the ignition. Now your push button for cranking the engine will use the Red wire for power, and then connect the Yellow wire to the other terminal of the push button for operating the starter motor.

I hope this helps,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I unplugged the main plug off the steering column. I have mocked this up with jumpers and its a no go. I see your diagram says starter system on the green wire. I didn't use the green wire so ????

I don't think the green wire is needed to run the Jeep, but let me recheck that. I will get back to you asap.

Ok, I do see that the green wire does go to the starter relay, so try connecting the green wire to your push button and see if it will crank when you push the button. Let me know,

Issac, why the "poor rating"? Do you still need help with wiring up your switches? If so, I will continue to help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

first of all, I have a Haynes Manual. I didn't know how to read the electrical blueprint. Thats why I needed an explanation.

secondly your explanation was incorrect. I tried to wire it the way you explained. You were wrong on a few things. I figured out on my own how to read the blueprint useing the wires.

third, when i gave you a chance to fix the error, you decided to ask me for the answer I paid over thirty bucks to get from you. "Let me know"??? was your reply exactly.

Well sorry for the misunderstanding Issac, but when I said "let me know", I meant connect the green wire to your starter button and to let me know if when you pushed the button that it would energize the starter relay and crank the engine. I just wanted you to tell me that " yes that worked" that's all,