Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
29331485

sahara: 1994 jeep sahara new engine, new ecm, but for some

Customer Question

1994 jeep sahara new engine, new ecm, but for some reason before key is even inserted dash lights are on....Whats going on?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

When you say dash light do you mean the ignition and warning lights are on .

What happens when you turn the key to start .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing happens when I turn the key..the engine check, seat belt, and arrow lights stay on with no key in the ignition. When I put the key in...lights go out and engine won't turn over.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralf .

Okay this looks like a ignition switch problem.

The ignition switch on this model is on the steering column .

As shown below .

graphic

This part is a cheap item that you can get at most auto stores like AutoZone ,rock-auto etc NAPA .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg.

Greg, Technician
Experience: maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I unpugged the ignition switch and still had the problem...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What now?

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

Under the hood is a relay and fuse box, pull the ignition fuse , the top inside lid will have the relay and fuses marked .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but all fuses under the hood and inside are good from what I can tell..relays look good too. I am baffled. Any other suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but all fuses under the hood and inside are good from what I can tell..relays look good too. I am baffled. Any other suggestions? Do I pull it and leave out then try it...

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
.Hi

With the Key out of the ignition and the ignition plug removed, pull one fuse at a time until the lights go out then let me know which fuse it is .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I pulled all fuses and all relays and lights remained only when I unplugged the ecm module that they went out, thats why I got a new ecm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You I am gonna try again...I don't think I had the ignition plug removed...im in florida and its late I'll check it tomorrow again and let u know.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

Okay we are on the same time so i will look out for you in the morning .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It will be evening...must work...

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

No problem even better for me .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi greg....ok..did what you said....with it uplugged check engine, seat belt, and up arow light still on....all relays and fuses removed under hood and drivers area just fuses removed nothing happened, still on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi greg...are you there...?

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

After removing the fuse and relays the Lights are still all on .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I know, I am very confused..only time is when I remove the ecm...they go off...won't even turnover...

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an aftermarket alarm system fitted .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No..., just replaced the motor..with new...new exhaust...all other stuff is same...except new electronic control module...???? Nothing else.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Did you have this problem before the engine was replaced .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, not sure, its been sitting for about 2 years maybe 3 at my ex son in laws...not running...sold it to him...when bought it back after his death from an accident. So I do not know..when I sold it to him eight years ago it ran fine. So not sure really.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

Sorry to hear the bad news , was the accident with this car .

Clip the fuse box and open it up and look under it for rodent damage .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No was not with this vehicle....its was not running at least 3 years. Ok I' ll check out and let u know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thinking about it, its clean...all wires checked...I had fenders removed and powder coated....all wires checked and connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any other suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi greg...whats common in the ecm to make check engine, up arrow, and seatbelt light and gas tank gauge reading full when it is bone dry...

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

So sorry did not get to you sooner been traveling and also got food poison ,but now much better.

Can you disconnect the fuel gauge wire at the tank want to see if the gauge drops back to empty , but looking like behind the dash is your short in the wiring harness.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did that, gas gauge still says full...sorry...I am pretty knowledgable myself about engines and cars..but do you think still can be a short behind the dash..

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph .

If after disconnecting the gauge at the tank and the gauge did not drop then in the wiring harness from there to the gauge is at fault ..

To be sure the gauge is not the problem pull the gauge cluster and disconnect the fuel gauge , check the wiring .

Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi greg...removed the dash all wiring is intact from what I can tell..nothing bare, nothing freyed...what now?

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the fuel gauge wire does it drop or stay high .

Greg.