Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Jeep Wrangler: I have a 2005 2 door Wrangler Rocky Mountain

I have a 2005 2 door Wrangler Rocky Mountain 6 speed. Around 55 MPH if I hit rough pavement the car shakes and vibrates baddly. Need to slow down below 50 to get the vibration to stop. Seems to be coming from the front. On smooth pavement up to 65 MPH no problem. Not even a steering wheel vibration like a wheel is out of balance. Rough pavement starts the problem and it stays when the pavement smoothens out. Need to slow down to get it to stop. Any ideas?
Thanks...Joe
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

AMEDEE :

Can I get the part number that was used when you replaced the steering shock absorber?

AMEDEE :

Hello?

AMEDEE :

I see you have stepped into chat?

Customer:

I went out to the Jeep and looked at the part there are no markings on it. Changing this part made no difference.

AMEDEE :

Where did you get this part from?

AMEDEE :

And are you aware of the TSB for this condition?

Customer:

I am not sure. I just bought the Jeep. it was changed by the owner. He advised me this problem had just started and he changed this part to see if it would help. He concluded that he must have lost a weight and th ewheels needed balancing. He gave me a discount as I said I could handle the balancing. The owner is reputable and known by my brother in law. When I test drove this Jeep the problem did not occure.

AMEDEE :

The reason I ask is because there is a UPDATED or REVISED steering dampener to correct this condition

AMEDEE :

There is a Technical service bulletin out about this condition

AMEDEE :

It is TSB 19-003-06

AMEDEE :

Woud you like to see this TSB?

AMEDEE :

Would

Customer:

Yes

AMEDEE :

Steering - High Speed Shimmy After Hitting Bumps

NUMBER: 19-003-06

GROUP: Steering

DATE: August 30, 2006

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT ORDER PARTS OR PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 7, 2006.

SUBJECT:
Steering Shimmy

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a revised steering damper.

MODELS:

1997-2006 (TJ) Wrangler

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Steering shimmy may occur after hitting a bump in the road at highway speeds.

DIAGNOSIS:

Check tire dynamic balance. Also check for worn or loose steering & suspension components.

AMEDEE :

According to the TSB, this is the new UPDATED or REVISED part number is XXXXX

AMEDEE :

Also, check for loose track bar on the front end. This bar is easily overlooked as the main problem for vibration.

Other possible causes

Loose Parts
Track Bar

Oversized tires

Loose ball joints or tie rids

AMEDEE :

There also have been cases where the upper and lower control arms and bushings go bad causing this problem. However this would be a last resort.

Customer:

The Jeep only has 71,000 miles. Standard 30" tires. Not driven much on trails.

AMEDEE :

Does not matter

AMEDEE :

Obviously something is loose

AMEDEE :

causing this condition

AMEDEE :

otherwise you would not be having this issue

AMEDEE :

Just being honest

AMEDEE :

You wanted an honest answer didn't you?

AMEDEE :

Well, there you have it

AMEDEE :

You might want to double check this steering stabilizer

AMEDEE :

and then check the track bar and other front end parts as needed

AMEDEE :

Something is loose

Customer:

What is th track bar?

AMEDEE :

I have even seen vehicles with an "added" steering stabilizer shock added to the suspension to help correct this condition

AMEDEE :

These are the bars that go from the subframe to the diff assebmly

AMEDEE :

Also, be sure to check the balance on the front tires and the alignment on all 4 tires

AMEDEE :

At least this will give you some things to check

AMEDEE :

You now have a direction to go in

AMEDEE :

Did you have any further questions?

Customer:

Can the rear wheels be aligned

AMEDEE :

You bet they can be

AMEDEE :

It is called a 4 wheel alignment

Customer:

Thanks

AMEDEE :

Your welcome

AMEDEE :

Are you happy with my service tonight

AMEDEE :

??

Customer:

Usually with a solid rear axle the rear wheels are not aligned

AMEDEE :

They do make shim kits

AMEDEE :

most of them have adjustments

AMEDEE :

But based on my experience

AMEDEE :

A 4 way alignment usually will not help this condition

AMEDEE :

if anything, it would be a two way alignment

AMEDEE :

but just have them check all wheels to ensure they are within specs just to be sure

AMEDEE :

This is a good way to check for bent suspension steering components (both front and rear(

AMEDEE :

even if they look "close" to the naked eye

AMEDEE :

The alignment machine will pickup on all of this

AMEDEE :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes

AMEDEE :

Excellent!

AMEDEE :

Are you happy with my assistance today?

Customer:

Yes

AMEDEE :

Excellent! I am glad I can help

AMEDEE :

It has been a pleasure working with you today

AMEDEE :

Please dont forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today

AMEDEE :

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

AMEDEE :

Best Regards

AMEDEE :

Amedee

Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector