Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Jeep Wrangler YJ: I have a 1992 Jeep wrangler 2.5 L 4 cyl with

I have a 1992 Jeep wrangler 2.5 L 4 cyl with multipoint fuel injection that cranks but won't start. I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit and replaced the fuel filter and still nothing.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

AMEDEE :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX X can assist you with your question.

AMEDEE :

Please allow me to ask a few questions in order to better help resolve your concern

AMEDEE :

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer:

causes and solutions

AMEDEE :

No problem

AMEDEE :

I can help with that

AMEDEE :

Do you know if the engine has spark when cranking it over?

Customer:

it will "start" when I spray starting fluid in the intake

AMEDEE :

Got it! Thanks!

AMEDEE :

And what is the fuel pressure at when cranking the engine over?

Customer:

low to zero I do not have a gage to check actual pressure. I was thinking pressure regulator but want to get second opinion

AMEDEE :

Have you checked power to the fuel pump?

Customer:

yes. Some additional infor the jeep sat in my garage for some time and was started monthly, and one day it just cranked and did not start.

AMEDEE :

Got it

AMEDEE :

How much power is going to the fuel pump?

Customer:

with in the range Chilton says,

AMEDEE :

And what would that be?

Customer:

I just verified it was within the range I did not write it down but could go check it again if needed.

AMEDEE :

yes, please do

Customer:

ok one sec

AMEDEE :

k

Customer:

ok well that was not good, my son broke my multimeter cannot check it

AMEDEE :

Ok, then you will need to get another one to check power to the pump

Customer:

ok will do that but will have to go to store

AMEDEE :

Sounds good

AMEDEE :

Did you want to wrap up this session now?

Customer:

I guess that is it until I get back

AMEDEE :

So what should we do?

Customer:

well I guess close this session unless you can give me some other things to check

AMEDEE :

I sure can

AMEDEE :

If there is no power to the fuel pump

AMEDEE :

then we check the fuel pump relay and inputs

AMEDEE :

The fuel pump relay should have two powers and one ground while cranking

AMEDEE :

from there, it will activate and send out power on the forth wire

AMEDEE :

to the fuel pump

AMEDEE :

Keep in mind, the computer grounds the fuel pump relay

Customer:

ok so I guess we are on hold until I get the new meter

AMEDEE :

so if there is no ground from the computer, then we check to see if the computer is "awake"

AMEDEE :

The reason I am telling you this now is so that we can close out this session like you have requsted

Customer:

good deal

AMEDEE :

Sounds good! I am glad I can help

AMEDEE :

Please dont forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today

Customer:

will do. thanks

AMEDEE :

You will see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

AMEDEE :

Thank you very much!

Customer:

ok

AMEDEE :

Best Regards

AMEDEE :

Amedee

Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector