Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: the brake lights do not work -

the brake lights do not work - changed the fuse and bulbs - still do not work - pleas help!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Do ypu know or can you check to see if the center high mounted brake light works? Also can you do any electrical testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daryl - went to check the center high mounted brake light - it does not work.

I do not have any electrical testing equipment

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.
Ok without doing any testing its pretty hard to be 100% sure but I would be suspecting the brake switch, other than a wiring problem its really the only thing that will cause all of the lights to be out. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked the lights again - the right brake light DOES work - the high mounted and the left do not.. wouldn't the brake switch prevent All LIGHTS TO GO ON?

This Jeep only has 55 K miles and is in excellent condition, Wiring is perfect.

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are right if any of the lights are working the brake switch must be working, I was under the impression that none of the lights work. So if the bulbs are good then there must be a wiring issue, there is no way to find this problem without some testing so I am not sure where you want to go from here? Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I take the car to the Jeep dealer? I was trying to avoid doing that and solve the problem with your help.

Expert:  Daryl replied 1 year ago.

Any repair shop should be able to help you and I can only do so much and without some testing the problem could be anywhere along the power or ground wires to the brake lights that are not working so without some testing it would be impossible to find, the problem could even be the bulb sockets but without testing there is no way to know. Sorry I could not be more help but some things do require testing.

Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic