Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Cherokee Sport: I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The clutch

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The clutch on the compressor does not engage when the AC is turned on. I checked the voltage coming into the compressor and there are 12V coming across. When I nudge the clutch it will start up for about 10 seconds and then stop again. I have the proper amount of freon in the system. Is there something I can do to fix this, or should I just get a new compressor?

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! The clutch coil is failing and that is why the clutch will not stay engaged. Yes replacing the compressor will take care of this. Now you could just replace the clutch and coil, but I have had mixed results doing it that way, so I recommend replacing the compressor just to be sure of the repair.

I hope this information helps and let me know if you need further assistance with this.