Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

Jeep Patriot: esp/bas & skidding car is lit on my 2008 jeep

Customer Question

esp/bas & skidding car is lit on my 2008 jeep Patriot. Also the cruise is not working although the cruise indicator lights when the lever button is pushed. Went to a dealer, charged me $168 to put on a new "brake switch" guess what--it still lit when I started my car. I was in a hurry & was told "probably a bad switch" or a "loose wire" Stated I wouldn't have anti-lock brake function but still safe to drive--after I had spent the money & delayed an important meeting because the person checking me in only stated "it would affect my brakes"
So where do I go from here. I do not have wheel sensors on 3 of my 4 tires because they had gone out & was to expen$ive to replace. I did have occasion to drive on snow after I had left the dealer & really didn't feel they were any different pumping like the old fashioned brakes or staying steady. So now what?
Janet
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! Janet, did you say that you have 3 "bad" wheel speed sensors?

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a broken front rocker bar--or some bar in front repaired by a reputable local mechanic shop. & I needed 4 new tires at the same time--

this was done back in august I think. Anyway they said I had 3 bad sensor that tell me when the tires are low. I decided I didn't need to spend >$100 to get them replaced so they used a replacement -not sure what it was . & I haven't had any issues till now

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Oh, Ok, It is the tire pressure sensors and not the wheel speed sensors that are bad. Now if the ESP/ABS lights are still on, then you need to have the dealer or an independent shop connect their scan tool to the Jeep and see what code or codes are in the ABS module. You may have a wheel speed sensor that is bad and needs to be replaced. I would ask the dealer to recheck this for free because it seems to me that their diagnosis and repair did not resolve this. They need to stand behind the work they did. If you can, ask them to at least read the code(s) and then tell me what it is. I can then recommend the appropriate repair to get this resolved.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the sensors that tell me the tires are low --that I no longer have are NOT the problem? so I a different set of sensors for wheel speed may be the problem? What I don't understand is I had driven the care off & on all that day w/ no problem with lights. I hop in the car for one last errand--this time while it is raining & these ESP/BAC lights come on. Oh I have pushed the ESP button on my panel a few times both before I went to the dealer & since with no changes. It strange with that dealer--they only had 2 stars of customer satisfaction compared to the 4& 5 I saw on others closer to home. But as I said I was on my way out of town..... unfortunately I am leaving to go out of town again Sunday tomorrow-so I either need to drive it like it is or use a dealer in that town. I keep going back & forth--I live in Indpls, in. My folks are in South Bend IN & we just put dad in Hospice so I won't likely be able to see the original dealer. :( for several weeks as I return only on weekends right now after service closes @ 3 :(

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
That is correct Janet. they are different sensors that measure wheel speed an not tire pressure. Go to another dealer. This 2 star dealer does not seem to know what they are doing. If you have another dealer check the code, then I can advise you as what should be done.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. so this also would be what is affecting my cruise working properly even though the light indicator says it is on?

I made some changes & will be able to be at my regular dealer's service center when they open in the morning.

This may sound strange-but should I let my dealer know what you suggested before they do their check-rather than direct them to a specific issue & maybe have another ignored?

BTW you have done great--if I submit & you are paid--do I pay again for us to continue this issue?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes, a failing wheel speed sensor will cause the cruise control to not work Janet. I think you should mention to the dealer that you suspect a wheel speed sensor issue. Then they can focus on that. It may help them with the diagnosis. Now I will continue to work with you even after you rate / accept my answer, and you will not need to pay me any extra.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

CJ,

Now I am confused--I just ran some errands & no idiot lights & cruise worked perfectly--HOWEVER the fuse is out for heating my seats & the one that I replaced yesterday for the adapter that used to be a cigarette lighter-if they still put them in cars. Yesterday when that was out so was electric plug-but not today. so now what--still take in ? or wait & see if it happens again. this was a 20 mi RT & my trip to Northern Indiana will be about 150miles but that shouldn't make a difference should it?? I'm thinking the fuses are just a coincidence--to confuse me !!!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
It is not a fuse problem Janet. That is just a coincidence. It is probably an intermittent speed sensor issue. I guess wait and see if it acts up again, then take it in.

Chris