Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

jeep liberty 2004 engine 3.7 v6 transmission trouble check

Customer Question

jeep liberty 2004 engine 3.7 v6 transmission trouble check shifter signal code p0706
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

This code is usually caused by a bad transmission range sensor. Here is the definition for this code.

P0706 Check Shifter Signal

Possible Causes

TR sensor connector is damaged
TRS T1 sense circuit is open or shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
TRS T3 sense circuit is open, shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
TRS T41 sense circuit is open, shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
TRS T42 sensor circuit is shorted to voltage
Shifter is out of adjustment
PCM has failed

The transmission range sensor is located inside the transmission and the valve body will need to be removed in order to remove and replace this sensor. Just be sure to check th wiring before replacing it and be sure to check the shifter it adjusted up properly.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I need more info

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Roger,

No problem!

Just let me know what sort of information you would like and I will send it over.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does it mean a bad Transmission range sensor, and i can repair? With details?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Roger,

To be honest, this is a rather big repair. Because of the location of the transmission range sensor, the transmission pan needs to be dropped along with the valve body.
The Transmission Range Sensor is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission and can only be serviced by removing the valve body assembly. The electrical connector extends through the transmission case.

The Transmission Range Sensor is part of the solenoid module, which is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission.

The Transmission Range Sensor has five switch contact pins that:

Determine shift lever position
Supply ground to the Starter Relay in Park and Neutral only.
Supply +12 V to the backup lamps in Reverse only.

The TRS also has an integrated temperature sensor (thermistor) that communicates transmission temperature to the TCM and PCM.

OPERATION

The Transmission Range Sensor communicates shift lever position to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.

Here is the R and R procedure.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the center console from the floor panel transmission tunnel.
From the left side of the vehicle, reach between transmission range indicator and the floor panel transmission tunnel to access the lamp socket
Rotate the transmission range indicator lamp socket counterclockwise about 30 degrees on the bottom of the range indicator.
Pull the transmission range indicator lamp socket and bulb straight out of the bulb mounting hole.
Pull the transmission range indicator lamp bulb straight out of the socket.

INSTALLATION

Install the TRS to the manual shaft. Make sure TRS locating pin rests in manual valve bore slot. Install the TRS/manual shaft retaining screw.
Install the manual shaft seal
Install valve body to the transmission.

Install the transmission pan

Fill transmission fluid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please i need some photos for the location of the sensor and of for the sensor itself so i can better identifie it.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You bet!

Give me a few minutes and I will post some pics!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Roger,

It is number 2 in the picture.

graphic

Please send me your VIN and I will gather some more information.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My VIN is: 1J4GL48K34W293618
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the VIN!

Let me do some research and post back to you shortly.

Thanks!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Roger,

Sorry for the delay!

The part number you need is(NNN) NNN-NNNNC.

Here is a link to a picture of your transmission range sensor.

Click here

Here is the location for this sensor. It is located on the left side of the transmission. You can see the connector in this image. However, the valve body will need to be removed in order to remove and replace this sensor.

graphic

I am glad I could help! I do hope you are as honest with me as I have been with you about your vehicle. It has been a pleasure assisting you with your question. Please don't forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

If you have any further questions, again, please feel free to use the reply button and I will reply back asap. In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers.

You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and enter your question in the question box on the left hand side of the screen below my profile picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello again,
I changed the part that you told me I should change, but the code is coming back. and the shift changed position I cannot shift to the 1st gear, what should I do$

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Roger,

What is the code that you have again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same one as before P0706 check shifter signal
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Roger,

Have you checked the wiring?

Did you check the sensor signal before replacing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i checked the code before replacing the sensor, how can i check the wiring?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You can use an ohm meter to check the wiring.

Let me look to see if I have any specific tests for this.

Give me a few minutes..
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
If the transmission range sensor has been replaced, then we check the wires from the sensor back to the PCM for any opens or shorts to ground or shorts to power.

The light green wire goes from pin 7 on the transmission range sensor to pin 15 on connector 4 at the PCM.

The Violette wire goes from pin 8 on the transmission range sensor to pin 16 on connector 4 of the PCM.

The Violette/white wire goes from pin 9 of the transmission range sensor to pin 37 on connector 4 of the PCM.

The white/pink wire goes from pin 10 at the transmission range sensor to pin 27 on connector 4 at the PCM.

You are going to want to ohm these wires out from the sensor to the PCM.

Here is a wiring diagram.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the shifter. It is not taking its place, I cant put the 1st gear!!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Roger, the only thing left would be the shift linkage.

Try disconnecting the linkage down at the transmission and see if it will then go into first gear. If not, then it is going to be related to the shifter cable or linkage between the shifter and transmission.