Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

jeep: 1997 jeep cherokee limited a/c fan has stopped working

1997 jeep cherokee limited a/c fan has stopped working is there a fuse if so wich fuse block &wich fuse is it please

Dave :

Hi, thank you for allowing me to help you. Please remember that all I have to work with is what you tell me so please excuse the questions. Are you taslking about the blower motor for blowing the air out of the vents inside the vehicle?

Customer:

yes

Dave :

Ok, is your Jeeps steering wheel on the left or right hand side?

Customer:

right

Dave :

Ok, give me a couple minutes to pull up and copy the schematics for you and make the needed notes on them for testing. Yes there are a couple fuses involved and a relay. I will be right back with all the info.

Dave :

The two fuses are fuse #25 in the junction block(fuse panel inside of jeep) and fuse #6 in the PDC(power distrabution center located under the hood). If the fuses are good you then want to use a test light and disconnect the blower motor and put the aligator clip of the test light to one of the connectors terminals and probe the other terminal and try all the blower motor settings and see if the light ever lights. If it does then you still have an issue with the blower motor itself. If you do not ever get the light to light you will then what to hook the aligator clip of the test light to a ground source and probe the dark green wire and see if you have voltage on any of the settings if you do then you wantto hook the aligator clip to a power source and check the ground side. If you have no ground then you need to go to the resistor module and check for ower and ground there. Here is the schematic.

Full Size Image

Customer:

could it be a loose conection or broken wire it sometimes works when you hit a bump or apply brakes also when it is working and crusecontrol is on a/c is on cruse control cuts out

Dave :

Yes it could be a loose connection or a wire that has rubbed the insulation off and is grounding out. That is what it sounds like if it will work when you hit a bump or something like that. What you want to do is pull on the wiring that runs under the dash and see if you can get it to work and narrow it down to its location if you can. The other way is to test each wire from its different areas such as from the blower motor to connector 7 or from the junction block to connector 204 etc. To do this you will need a volt/ohm meter. Let me know if you are going to do testing with a volt/ohm meter and I will send you the locations of the connectors to test at.

Dave :

The one thing both the cruise control and the blower motor have in common is connector 100 which is located in the instrument panel. Here is a diagram of where it and a couple other connectors are located as well as the ground. Make sure there is no corrosion at the connectors and the ground is still tight and in place.

Full Size Image

Customer:

thanks dave i will have a look at the connections just tested the fuses all ok if you think of annything else let me know cheers

Dave :

Will do and let me know what you find, It sounds like a connector problem to me if it will work when you hit a bump.