sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Jeep Cherokee Classic: my 1992 jeep cherokee check engine light

my 1992 jeep cherokee check engine light came on...the jeep idles fine...when I put it in gear to drive it does not want to go and I can smell fuel when i get out after driving two blocks...the code is 55 as far as I can tell which does not help me?????? any ideas
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I see your question has been up for a while and noone has responded. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Code 55 means end of test and doesn't point to any actual problem. If the engine light is on then there are more codes stored for sure. Did you try at least a couple times and didn't find anything more than the 55?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One code could have been 12. I can try this test again if needed. I am using the ignition as my detector.

12 sets any time the battery has been disconnected and is very often found first. There should have been more code digits in between the 12 and 55. If you can try it again that would be great because there should be some more hiding there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK..I seem to be coming up with a couple??? 22, 24, 41 The fuel pump is working, as I can hear it coming on. But I do smell gas after turning on and off.

Has anything under the hood been unplugged with the key on or engine running?

Did this start after any work was done under the hood?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, but not was in the shop about 3weeks ago

What was done at that time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The thermostat was changed and also the water pump

The 22 code is for the coolant temperature sensor and sets when it's signal voltage goes too low. This could either be the sensor or a short to ground on the signal circuit. A bad coolant sensor would cause the symptoms you are having. For this what I would recommend is unplugging the sensor and use a voltmeter to make sure one wire has ground and the other has 5v with the key on. If ok then the coolant sensor should be replaced.

The 24 is for the throttle position sensor (TPS), which could also cause some driveability symptoms. Again here you can unplug the TPS, check for ground and two wires having 5v with the key on, and as long as there are no visible wiring problems (rubbing, bare, etc) then replace the TPS.

THe 41 is a charging code and could either be a wiring problem to the alternator or the alternator itself. Most often this would be an internal alternator issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did notice that the coolant level was pretty low and added diluted antifreeze to it just after this symptom started. I attempted to drive it on Monday. Drove half a mile or so and came back home. I then lifted the hood and noticed the fluid level being low. I filled the reservoir as there was almost nothing in it. The mechanic I used may not have not replaced any I lost during the thermostat issue.

Low coolant level wouldn't cause this electrical problem but it's something that definitely needs to be addressed. They may not have added coolant or if they didn't properly bleed the system then there may have still been air trapped that has now worked itself out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how long do I have your expertise for ?

If you ever need more help you can let me know, and rating my performance does not cut off communication.