Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6-3.6L - Where is the IAT sensor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6-3.6L - Where is the IAT sensor located (words and diagrams please) and what are the two wire colors.
Thank you.

Dave :

Hi, thank you for allowing me to help you, I look forward to resolving your issue(s).

DESCRIPTION

The 2-wire Intake Manifold Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is installed in the air inlet tube with the sensor element extending into the air stream.

The IAT sensor is a two-wire Negative Thermal Coefficient (NTC) sensor. Meaning, as inlet air temperatures increase, resistance (voltage) in the sensor decreases. As temperature decreases, resistance (voltage) in the sensor increases.

OPERATION

The IAT sensor provides an input voltage to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) indicating the density of the air entering the intake manifold based upon inlet air temperature. At key-on, a 5-volt power circuit is supplied to the sensor from the PCM. The sensor is grounded at the PCM through a low-noise, sensor-return circuit.

The PCM uses this input to calculate the following:

• Injector pulse-width

• Adjustment of spark timing (to help prevent spark knock with high intake manifold air-charge temperatures)

The resistance values of the IAT sensor is the same as for the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.

Full Size Image

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the engine cover (1).

Full Size Image

Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the inlet air temperature (IAT) sensor

Full Size Image

1. Clean dirt from the air inlet tube at the IAT sensor base.

2. Gently lift the small plastic release tab (3), rotate the sensor about 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and remove the sensor from the inlet air hose.

3. The IAT sensor O-ring (2) can be reused if not damaged.

Customer:

Hi Dave,

I need to know where the sensor is located (intake/intake tube) along with a diagram and the wire colors of the two sensor wires.

Thanks.

Customer:

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Customer:

Sorry Dave, did not see the whole response!

Customer:

Hi Dave, can you tell me if the IAT wires are Light Green-White and Dark Blue-Dark Green ?

I had to switch to this format because it would not post my answers to you. Here is a diagram showing where the sensor is. The best way to insure you get the correct colors of the wires is to look at the sensor and get them from it. Chrysler changes harness providers at times and can change the colors.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.