Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Liberty Sport: I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7L engine.

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport, 3.7L engine. Yesterday, the oil light came on. We immediately pulled to the side of the road, shut the engine off and then I checked the oil level; it was good. I started the engine back up and listened for any unusual noises; there were none. I was 15 miles from home so I drove off and got another 8 miles down the road when the engine started knocking; pulled over right away and shut down the engine. I got the Jeep back to my place (a buddy trailered it for me). I pulled the oil sensor and connected a oil pressure gauge; I had 65-70 psi at idle (this is strange because my oil light on before I removed the sensor, and the knocking was coming from top left bank. NOTE: when I removed the sensor I didn't get any oil coming out of the port, when I removed the gauge to reinstall the sensor I got plenty of oil coming out of the port. I installed the sensor, started the engine and the oil light was off. And I verified the noise to be coming predominantly from the top left bank (drivers side).
I am mechanically inclined and I have religiously kept up with regular oil changes; however, I thinking something could have possibly clogged/stopped up something in the oil system. Could an intermittment oil pressure regulator have done this? Is this a common problem in the 3.7? I know I need to repair the damaged component (once I identify that problem) but I want to be sure the oil problem doesn't happen again and cause more problems. Suggestions?

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! I have seen a couple of things cause this : 1. a plugged oil pick up strainer, and 2, a stuck oil pressure relief valve in the oil pump. I recommend removing the oil pan and inspecting/cleaning the oil pickup screen. make sure also that the tube is not loose. If this appears ok, then suspect a sticking oil pressure relief valve and replace the oil; pump.

I hope this information helps and let me know if you need further assistance with this.