Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Under-hood fuse box is blowing a

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Under-hood fuse box is blowing a 20 amp fuse, unlabeled what it is for.

Ignition comes on, engine turns over.

Initially I had to change this fuse out when the vehicle would shake violently then shut down, but still turn over. I would replace the fuse then drive for months until it reoccurred.

Now, with ignition on, it blows the fuse immediately.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Is it the 20 amp fuse in location 20 of the fusebox? Does fuse blow right away or only when turning key on? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there are six mini fuses, two columns, three rows. it is the 20A closest to battery, a 15A below, 20A above

I have a pic but it would not upload.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here is a diagram, verify what number it is and let me know. Also let me know if it blows with key off or only when trying to start. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that fuse box you attached looks nothing like mine.

when diagnosing and placing the fuse in, i would have the key on, and it would blow.

key off, it does not blow fuse.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Remove the ASD relay and tell me if fuse still blows. You can also verify ASD relay does not get power with fuse removed, this will verify we are talking about the same fuse. For some reason the fusebox diagrams are often wrong on mid 90's chrysler/jeep/dodge vehicles.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I found another fusebox diagram...still check to see if fuse blows with ASD relay removed, if not try to swap asd relay with another relay. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry, not the same. it is long and narrow. I have a picture but how do i send it to you?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets just start by removing ASD relay and see if fuse stops blowing, if so I have a good idea of what problem is. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I remove the relay Labeled ASD, the fuse does not blow, when I turn ignition on..

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thats good to hear and gives use a great starting point. The ASD relay powers Powertrain Control Module, ignition coil, all fuel injectors, upstream O2 sensor, downstream O2 sensor. The most common cause here is the oxygen sensor wiring rubbing on the driveshaft, causing the fuse to blow.So at this point inspect wiring going to the oxygen sensors and replace as needed. If good unplug each oxygen sensor one at a time to see if fuse stops blowing, same with coil and injectors. Whatever stops fuse from blowing when disconnected has internally shorted and needs to be replaced. But its alot more likely a wiring problem. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. You can reply to this answer at any time without any additional fee's if you run into more questions, thanks.