Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: Hi, we have a jeep garnd cherokee

Hi, we have a jeep garnd cherokee laredo year 1999. The keyless transmitter wasn working, so we take the car to the main dealer service and they ordred a new transmitter and reprogrammed it to the car. But they told us the car sometimes works and sometimes not, and they dont cant fix the problem. So we bring the jeep yesterday back it was perfectly working. Today he doest want open the door, and when we open whit the key and want start the engine the security mode doesnt let start the car? What can be the problem please help me....

First of all, do you have any other key fobs to the Jeep? Do these key fobs work? If so, I think there was a problem with the programming of your new fob. If not, what is happening is that your security module (SKIM) sees that the car is still armed and will not let it start until it it properly unarmed. This is most likely due to a failing WCM (wireless control module), it is a pretty common problem on your model Jeeps. This is the module that receives the signals from the key fobs to unlock the doors. If this module fails you cannot unlock the doors even with a working key fob.

One thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it. This will "reset" the module. If it begins working, then you know that you have a bad WCM and it will need to be replaced.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, we try what you say. And it is the WCM. After disconecting the baterry the car was working. I want ask where is this module? Under the windscreen in the dashboard or in the door. Our car is right hand drive.

I'm glad that worked for you, that's what I was suspecting. The WCM is in the drivers door behind the door panel.

Unfortunately, if you replace it yourself, you still need to have a Chrylser/Jeep/Dodge dealer program the module to the vehicle, and then program the remotes to the module.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanx. And can we make something to switch or close this thing out. Then I ask about this part the official jeep service and they give me a price from an another part (1000€) and they ask me for what is the wcm for it. So they have not the clue. So I don't trust them. And I want use my jeep. Thanx

The WCM is a term used on the newer Jeeps. On your Jeep, the security key module is called the SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module), for the key. But the wireless function is part of the driver's door module.

Just tell them you need the module for your wireless remote, they should tell you its the drivers door module. If not, ask to speak with someone else who is more familiar with these Jeeps.

I hope this gets you going!