Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Jeep Cherokee Laredo: 1990 jeep Cherokee. Trans will not shift

Customer Question

1990 jeep Cherokee. Trans will not shift out of first untill 3000 rpms. Replaced tps. Adjusted kick down cable. Cleaned throttle body. I've flushed trans with new fluid. I'm at a loss.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Robert. I am a Certified Auto Technician with 25{+} years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

When you did the transmission flush, did you do it yourself? Was the pan removed and the filter replaced? Was there any metal or clutch materials in the pan or on the magnet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did the flush myself. I did remove the pan and replaced the filter. I seen no traces of meteor or anything. Trans was running strong till I had a flowmaster put on it. Then after about an hour or so. It started the whole first gear shift at or above 3000. All the other gears smooth as can be. Just seems to me like first is sluggish and lacking power also. Could it be the tourqe converter by chance?
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

It's not likely to be the torque converter, Converter would cause problems in all gears and may cause engine stall when at a stop if the converter clutch was locked up, so I don't suspect the converter. I do suspect either an electrical issue or an internal transmission failure, i was thinking that it may actually be second gear, and when it gets to 3000 rpm it's actually skipping 2nd and going directly to 3rd. To verify this, I would drive it and count the shifts to see if it is actually engaging ALL gears. Let me know what you come up with on this test...

The other thing I recommend doing is having the vehicle scanned, it's possible there is still something electrical that is causing this issue, these issues will typically set a code in the TCM and it doesn't always have to turn on the check engine light. So the best thing to do at this point is to have the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) read from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. As a Technician, my first course of action is USUALLY to scan for the DTC's. Once you obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then hopefully you can make the repair. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.