MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

Jeep commander: My 2006 jeep commander started overheating

My 2006 jeep commander started overheating and now won't start. Reservoir is full , started overheating in idle about 1 week ago. Was driving on freeway yesterday and started overheating and just shut off
Category: Jeep
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.

MoparHeat :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your inquiry. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Was there heavy traffic while you were driving on freeway yesterday?

MoparHeat :

You electric cooling fan may be failing. Most common problem when a vehicle runs hot at idle but ok at highway speeds. That's why I asked about heavy traffic.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no there was no heavy traffic. it just startrd overheating while i was driving, i pulled over and it cut off.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
Will the vehicle restart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it will not start. lights come on but wont turn over
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
Have you removed the radiator cap to inspect the coolant level inside of radiator? Even though the reservoir is full the radiator may not have drawn coolant from reservoir.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i took the cap off the coolnt started flowing in the radiator and we put water in it and it took alot but there no water in the oil in reference to a gasket being bust. is there something with jeep that makes it turn off if overheats that can be reset maybe. it only overheated for about 30 secs and turned off
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
No there isn't any kind of shut down process for overheating. Normally one will overheat causing high head pressure and stalling the engine, however once it cools down some the engine will normally start back up.
Does the starter click or attempt turn the engine when trying to start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i try to start it its making a high pitch winding noise,its turning over but very slow
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
You may have engine damage due to it overheating. The head gasket may have blown leaking coolant into the cylinders. Liquid doesn't compress which could be the result of it turning over slow. Even though there isn't coolant in the oil the gasket could have blown in a direction where there isn't an oil passage. Are you willing to attempt and diagnose the issue yourself and I can suggestions things to check but there will be extensive labor involved if you aren't handy with tools.
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest having a mechanic investigate the issue here. There are a few possibilities why you have experienced this issue. First the starting problem needs to be found. Then the cause of it not starting and the cause of the overheating needs to be found. Most likely they may share the same fault but sometimes you will be surprised. The first thing I would want to check is remove the spark plugs and inspect for coolant in cylinders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will do that thanks
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and I will be glad to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im hearing theres back pressure coming from the radiator
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
The radiator cannot create a "back pressure" that would keep the engine from starting. Your radiator could be clogged causing poor coolant flow that could lead to over heating but I believe you have had a leak with the coolant level in the radiator being so low then run hot. If you are hearing air coming into radiator while trying to start you have a head or head gasket issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can that be the result of a cracked head cause theres back pressure and wont start
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
Could be busted head gasket, warped, or cracked head. It sure seems like there has been some engine damage. That's why I suggested you having someone inspect it. Like I said the easiest way to see if it is a head issue is to remove the spark plugs and inspect the cylinders for coolant or compression test the cylinders. If you find an issue there you will know which head to remove and inspect for damage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea someones looking now and so far thats what i got about the bb pressure
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
Have you found out anything yet? May I be of further assistance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i actually havent found out anything else yet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And it still wont start
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 4 years ago.
If no further assistance is needed please rate my answer above. Please continue conversation for further assistance.