Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport: turn signals stopped working..Hazards..bulbs

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The turn signals stopped working. Hazards still work and bulbs are are good. Tried to replace the turn signal relay but that did not fix it. what else should I check?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Brad and I will be assisting you

Customer :

hello

Brad :

Hi, I'm gathering some info for you now.. Just a sec, Thanks!!

Customer :

ok

Brad :

Have you checked fuse 23 inside on the fuse bank?

Customer :

yes

Brad :

Ok, and the turn signal relay you replaced was it the silver circle type you replaced?

Customer :

no, it was located under the stering wheel black square with 5 prongs.

Customer :

and the manual says the turn signal fuse is #12 10 amp

Brad :

May I have the last 8 of your VIN to make properly look up your vehicle? Thanks!

Customer :

give me a sec

Brad :

Take your time..

Customer :

XL677316

Brad :

Thanks!

Brad :

You are correct.. Can you also check fuse 20..

Customer :

that says it is my trailer tow package

Customer :

i check it anyway give me a sec

Brad :

It supplies 12v to combination flasher..

Brad :

Is this the relay you replaced?

Customer :

yes that looks like it. and fuse 20 is empty.

Brad :

Does the empty slot have 2 metal prongs inside it where the fuse connects?

Customer :

yes i think so, but there has never been a fuse in there. I don't have a hitch to tow.

Brad :

That is interesting because that is the wiring for your Jeep.. Let me search for another..

Brad :

This also shows fuse 20..

Customer :

? I have the manual here in front of me and it says fuse 20 is Trailer Tow Package

Brad :

If it isn't too much trouble can you remove the relay you installed and check pin 2 for 12v? That will show us if it is getting 12v like it should..

Customer :

well I don't have any thing to check it with. I already instaled a new one it did not work and i returned it already. I might just have to take it somewhere.

Brad :

Nevermind.. If the hazzards are working it's getting voltage.. And since you allready replaced the relay it looks like the multi-function switch is faulty.. If you had a test light we could confirm that..

Customer :

ok thanks for chatting and the help. I am sure I will figure it out sometime

Brad :

You are more then welcome.. If you need anymore assistance feel free to ask..

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.