Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
18805678

2001 Jeep Grand cherokee: noise coming..valve cover..diagram

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 liter inline 6 there is a noise coming from the top of the engine I was told that it was a bad valve or lifter, i removed the valve cover and the push rod on the 2nd cylider has a lot of play in it and it won't sit back down correctly on the lifter. I plan to remove the cylinder head so I can see the lifters. Can you send me a diagram of the removal of the cylinder head?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Auto Go replied 2 years ago.

Auto Go :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Auto Go :

Here is the procedure you requested. This will come in several posts. I will let you know when I'm done.

Auto Go :
Click here to view page one
Auto Go :
Auto Go :

I'm sorry, that didn't seem to work... one moment

Auto Go :

sorry, I'm seem to be having some tech problems. I will opt out. Someone will be with you shortly.

Auto Go :

Click here for intake manifold and exhaust manifold removal

Auto Go :

Full Size Image

Auto Go :

Full Size Image

Auto Go :

Cylinder Head Bolts (1)
Stage 1 - 22 ftlbs (30) Nm
Stage 2 - 45 ftlbs (61) Nm
Stage 3 - 110 ftlbs (149)Nm
Exhaust Manifold Bolts (2) Bolts
No. 1-5 & No. 8-11 24ftlbs (33)Nm
Bolts No. 6 & 7 23 ftlbs (31)Nm

Auto Go :

(1)All bolts except No. 11. Tighten bolt No. 11 to 100 ft. lbs. (136 N.m). See Figure.
Auto Go :

cylinder head bold 11 gets tightened to 100 foot pounds. DON"T FORGET THAT!!!

Auto Go :

any other questions?

Auto Go :

If this is the info you need please consider pressing the accept button! If you have more questions, please just ask right here. Thanks and have a good day.

Customer:

Do I remove the cylinder head in the same sequence in the figure above? And do I loosen each bolt a little at a time

Auto Go :

Sorry for the delay. Remove the cylinder head bolts in reverse order of the photo above. It is always best to loosen them a little at a time. Thanks.

Customer: Having trouble getting to those bottom intake bolts what is the best way to get to them. I can't see where they are
Auto Go :

Sometimes the best way is to use a long extension with a wobble adapter or try accessing them from the bottom. They are no fun.

Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified