ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years

1996 jeep cherokee: home charged battery pulled a plug attached wire

Customer Question

1996 jeep cherokee would not start this am. came home charged battery pulled a plug attached wire - no spark. turns over. had my son do a complete turn off and reset nothing disconnected battery for 15 minutes reattached nothing, pulled evsll security plus (NNN) NNN-NNNN came and started reading. how do i by pass? two push buttons for what I was told a resets one next to steering wheel, one under edge of dash Rhea xxxx Knoxville XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 1 year ago.

ricardo hohl :

Hi do you have an aftermarket alarm system on this truck?

Customer :

no

ricardo hohl :

does it cranck well and fast ?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

no spark

ricardo hohl :

ok can you tell me the engine size?

Customer :

stright 6?

ricardo hohl :

ok do you have a test light ?

Customer :

no

ricardo hohl :

ok, can you remove the terminal wire from the coil to the distribuitor cranck the engine see if any spark to the distribuitor.

Customer :

yes above was i can do not that there was spark.

ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr Ricardo,
Changed the coil pack still no spark ? could it be the alarm?
hat to do, ?
ok, get your self a test light and lest do some testing , can you turn the key to on and with the test light check for power to the positive side of the coils wire terminal make sure the coil is disconnected,if you don't know which is the positive just check both for power one must have power and the other one no power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mr. Ricardo,
I got a meter and checked both ends of plug, not getting power on either with key on or engaging starter.

Hi sorry for the delay lest continue are you there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes im here

ok good give me one minute while i pull out your file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think the coil could not be getting power because the car thinks the alarm is activated so its breaking the circuit?
the alarm system if activated it will only cut fuel off ,not spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got ya.. so what would be next then, tracing the coil power wire back to the next spot to see if its getting power?

the next thing is to check the asd relay in that same box so let me know when you finish with the fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check it for power or check the fuse?

power across .

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i just check each individual one?

yes .

connect the black lid of the multimeter to the battery ground side and with the red lid touch each terminals on the fuses check for power on both sides of the fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have to run 2 miles down the road to get the voltage meter back so give me about 15 minutes or so
take your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only power to one slot where the relay plugs in
.

ok, are all the fuses and fusible links ok?

the relay should have two powers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes that was the first thing i check when it wouldnt start
ok, can you check fuse # XXXXX on the fuse box there by the battery this should be a 40 amps circuit breaker see if is ok.check for power on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have check all 40 amps and power is present on one side with fuses out and all fuses are ok. pulled each on at a time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you will let me know something else to try I'll give it a look tomorrow I need to get in bed now for work. lets keep trying tomorrow night say 7:30pm?
that will be perfect tomorrow at 7:30 it is good night.

if the fuse #8 is ok then we need to check why the relay is not getting that power and that can be either the ignition switch or the fuse box output power to the relay in the same box, this problem can be the relay box also.

but will continue tomorrow and hopefully will be over .