Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead Tech/shop foreman

1994 Jeep Cherokee: refrigerant

What type of refrigerant is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee "Country" set up for (R-134 or R12) And if it is R12 what is need to be done to convert the unit for R-134 use ??

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad replied 3 years ago.
38oz of 134-A. 1 pound 12 ounces.
If compressor is replaced, ensure oil level in replacement compressor is the same as the oil level in the defective compressor.
Then add 1 oz.
SP-20 PAG oil.

When an air conditioning system is assembled at the factory, all components (except the compressor) are refrigerant oil free. After the system has been charged and operated, the oil in the compressor is dispersed through the refrigerant system. The accumulator, evaporator, condenser, and compressor will retain a significant amount of oil.

It is important to have the correct amount of oil in the refrigerant system. This will ensure proper lubrication of the compressor. Too little oil will result in damage to the compressor. Too much oil will reduce the cooling capacity of the system.

It will not be necessary to check the oil level in the compressor or to add oil, unless there has been an oil loss. This may be due to a rupture or leak from a refrigerant line, a compressor shaft seal, an evaporator, or a condenser. If a rupture occurs, add 30 milliliters (1 fluid ounce) of oil to the system after the repair has been made. Oil loss at a leak point will be evident by the presence of a wet, shiny surface around the leak.

Refrigerant oil must be added when a accumulator, evaporator, or condenser are replaced. Refer to the Refrigerant Oil Capacities chart. When a compressor is replaced, the oil must be drained from the old compressor and measured. Drain all the oil from the new compressor, then fill the new compressor with the same amount of oil that was drained out of the old compressor.

Refrigerant Oil Capacities
A/C System2408.1
Compressordrain and measure the oil from the old compressor - see text

Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience: Electrical master,Diesel Specialist,Lead Tech/shop foreman