Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

Jeep Cherokee Pioneer: How do I remove / replace steering column

Customer Question

How do I remove / replace steering column on 88 jeep pioneer.
I never repaired the wobbly tilt function several years back and now mechanism and much of plastic hosing is broken and ignition is jammed. Hoping for a step by step instructions with picture. this website had a detailed instruction for replacing turn switch inside column but not for removing / replace entire column. thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 2 years ago.

Here is Jeep procedures

click links below

REMOVE STEERING COLUMN

DISASSEMBLE COLUMN

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

I have sent the information you have requested & have answered .
If you have more questions about a different problem or area, it is considered to be "additional" & may have to Relist.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry if I'm not clear, I am no mechanic, and maybe this is beyond me. Maybe I am thinking about this wrong. Is it possible to remove the entire "interior" portion of the column (including all the switches ignition) and replace with salvage yard one?
Is the first link you attached the overview of how to do this?

that is correct........

The only other thing that was not included was removal of Steering Wheel & that would depend on if the Jeep has Air Bag or not on the Steering Wheel

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No air bag, but I might not need to remove steering wheel at all if I can find the right model column and wheel all the way down to where the steering shaft meets the intermediate shaft inside the engine compartment right?
can you expalin more on:
"paint alignment marks on steering shaft and intermediate shaft"
"remove bolts"

Is this connection a "U Joint" type. i do not see any bolt(s)

paint alignment marks on steering shaft and intermediate shaft

mark the shafts under hood where they connect to Steering Gear

remove bolts

bolts retaining shaft to steering gear box & Floor

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more question just so I can get my small mind around this.
what exactly are the steering and intermediate shafts,
where are they located and how do they connect.
is the steering the one inside the column from the steering wheel through the floor?
and the intermediate the one it connects to?
thanks for all your help and patience

these are the shafts that are connected thru the center of the Column, under the dash, down to the Floor & out to the Steeing Box

correct

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience: Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do they connect together, under the dash or in the engine compartment?
to follow my remove and replace entire wheel and column will I be disgarding the steering shaft and keeping the intermediate shaft?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do they meet, under the dash or in the engine compartment?
in keeping with the idea of removing and replacing entire column and wheel will I be disgarding the steering shaft and keeping the intermediate?

both
Under dash at the column, thru the floor to the Steering Gear

Your DEPOSIT is not payment

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do they connect together, as in to each other?
since that is where your first instructions say to separate?

sorry, Jeep has very little info on the shafts or diagrams for 1988

graphic