Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

Jeep cj7: jeep stopped running middle of road. No spark from

jeep stopped running middle of road. No spark from wire to plug when cranking motor... how do I proceed?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.
I saw that another expert was able to help you while I was off line, do you need any more help with anything?

Thank you and sorry I missed your question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I replaced the ignition coil and now have good spark at ignition coil wire and also at the distributor wire. Jeep cranks ok and seems to want to start but wont keep going. checked fuel pump and pumping gas well. What should I do next?
Ok have you check the timing marks?

Have you checked for codes?

If not check the codes and check the timing marks are ok.

Let me know what the codes are so I can help you more.

Thank you
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I dont know how to check the timing marks - I have to take it to a shop for this? also I'm not sure what codes you are referring to.
If there is any codes stored in the computer. You need a code reader to get the codes out.

If you do not have a code reader, you can rent the tool for free at autozone, you just give a deposit and when you return the tool you get all your money back.

If you do have codes please let me know what they are and I can keep helping you

Thank you
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My jeep is 1980. no computer, unless its somewhere I'm not aware of. I'm aware of the timing marks on the crankcase,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I check the timing marks?

Good Morning,
If the vehicle will ran long enough you can use the timing gun first.

Have you tried to pour gas in the carb or throttle body depending on which one you have. I know you said you are getting fuel but there is a chance it might be to weak. If the vehicle starts and runs then it is a fuel issue.

If you have spark, and fuel, then the problem is a air issue and need to check the timing marks and make sure nothing is broken internal

Ignition Timing
QualIfier Trans. Min.
Set
(Degrees)
Max.
Set
(Degrees)
Min.
Set
(RPM)
Max.
Set
(RPM)
Auto
Trans.
Gear
Footnote
California AT 3 7 - - P 1, 4
California MT 3 7 750 750 - 1, 4
EX California AT 8 12 - - P 1, 4
EX HA & California MT 6 10 - - - 1, 4
HA MT 10 14 - - - 1, 4
Note 867: Disconnect and plug distributor vacuum hoses.
Note 870: Timing MUST be set to specifications shown on emission label if different from setting listed.
Copyright © 2011 by Motor Information Systems, a division of Hearst Business Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved
Here is hove to check the timing chain and marks

Timing Gear Cover

Print

REMOVAL, INSTALLATION AND SEAL REPLACEMENT

See Figures 1 through 12

4-134 Engine
  1. Remove the drive belts and crankshaft pulley.
  2. Remove the attaching bolts, nuts and lock washers that hold the timing gear cover to the engine.
  3. Remove the timing gear cover.
  4. Remove the timing pointer.
  5. Remove the timing gear cover gasket.
  6. Remove and discard the crankshaft oil seal from the timing gear cover.
  7. Replace in reverse order of the above procedure. Replace the crankshaft oil seal. Use a new timing gear cover gasket.

4-150 Engine

Special tools are needed for this job.

1. Remove the drive belts and fan shroud.
  2. Unscrew the vibration damper bolts and washer.
  3. Using a puller, remove the vibration damper.
  4. Remove the fan assembly. If the fan is equipped with a fan clutch DO NOT LAY IT DOWN! If you lay it down, the fluid will leak out of the clutch and irreversibly damage the fan.
  5. Disconnect the battery ground.
  6. Remove the air conditioning compressor/alternator bracket assembly and lay it out of the way. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE REFRIGERANT LINES!
  7. Unbolt the cover from the block and oil pan. Remove the cover and front seal.
  8. Cut off the oil pan side gasket end tabs and oil pan front seal tabs.
  9. Clean all gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
  10. Remove the seal from the cover.

To install:
  1. Apply sealer to both sides of the new case cover gasket and position it on the block.
  2. Cut the end tabs off the new oil pan side gaskets corresponding to those cut off the original gasket and attach the tabs to the oil pan with gasket cement.
  3. Coat the front cover seal end tab recesses generously with RTV sealant and position the side seal in the cover.
  4. Apply engine oil to the seal-to-pan contact surface.
  5. Position the cover on the block.
  6. Insert alignment tool J-22248 into the crankshaft opening in the cover.
  7. Install the cover bolts. Tighten the cover-to-block bolts to 5 ft. lbs.; the cover-to-pan bolts to 11 ft. lbs.
  8. Remove the alignment tool and position the new front seal on the tool with the seal lip facing outward. Apply a light film of sealer to the outside diameter of the seal. Lightly coat the crankshaft with clean engine oil.
  9. Position the tool and seal over the end of the crankshaft and insert the Draw Screw J-9163-2 into the installation tool.
  10. Tighten the nut until the tool just contacts the cover.
  11. Remove the tools and apply a light film of engine oil on the vibration damper hub contact surface of the seal.
  12. With the key inserted in the keyway in the crankshaft, install the vibration damper, washer and bolt. Lubricate the bolt and tighten it to 108 ft. lbs.
  13. Install all other parts in reverse order of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Timing cover used on the 4-150 engine, note the seal location

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Cutting the front oil pan gaslet after installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Use the timing cover centering tool to install the cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Oil seal installation tool installed on the cover

4-151 Engine
  1. Disconnect the battery ground.
  2. Remove the crankshaft pulley hub.
  3. Remove the alternator bracket.
  4. Remove the fan and radiator shroud.
  5. Remove the oil pan-to-timing case cover bolts.
  6. Pull the cover forward just enough to allow cutting the oil pan front seal flush with the block on both sides of the cover. Use a sharp knife or razor.
  7. Remove the front cover.

To install:
  1. Clean the gasket surface on the block and cover.
  2. Cut the tabs from the new oil pan front seal.
  3. Install the seal on the cover, pressing the tips into the holes provided in the cover.
  4. Coat a new gasket with sealer and place on the cover.
  5. Apply a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) bead of RTV sealant to the joint formed at the oil pan and block.
  6. Install an aligning tool such as tool J-23042 in the timing case cover seal.

It is important that an aligning tool is used to avoid seal damage and to ensure a tight, even seal fit.

1. Position the cover on the block and partially retighten the two oil pan-to-cover bolts.
  2. Install all other parts in reverse order of removal. Torque the fan assembly bolts to 18 ft. lbs.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Apply RTV sealant to these locations for front cover installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Timing cover alignment tool installed on the cover on 4-151 engines

6-225 Engine
  1. Remove the water pump and crankshaft pulley.
  2. Remove the two bolts that attach the oil pan to the timing chain cover.
  3. Remove the five bolts that attach the timing chain cover to the engine block.
  4. Remove the cover and gasket.
  5. Remove the crankshaft front oil seal.
  6. From the rear of the timing chain cover, coil new packing around the crankshaft hole in the cover so that the ends of the packing are at the top. Drive in the new packing with a punch. It will be necessary to ream out the hole to obtain clearance for the crankshaft vibration damper hub.

6-232 and 6-258 Engines
COVER REMOVED
  1. Remove the drive belts, engine fan and hub assembly, the accessory pulley, and vibration damper.
  2. Remove the oil pan to timing chain cover screws and the screws that attach the cover to the block.
  3. Raise the timing chain cover just high enough to detach the retaining nibs of the oil pan neoprene seal from the bottom side of the cover. This must be done to prevent pulling the seal end tabs away from the tongues of the oil pan gaskets which would cause a leak.
  4. Remove the timing chain cover and gasket from the engine.

To install:
  1. Use a razor blade to cut off the oil pan seal end tabs flush with the front face of the cylinder block and remove the seal. Clean the timing chain cover, oil pan, and cylinder block surfaces.
  2. Apply seal compound (Perfect Seal, or equivalent) to both sides of the replacement timing case cover gasket and position the gasket on cylinder block.
  3. Cut the end tabs off the replacement oil pan gasket corresponding to the pieces cut off the original gasket. Cement these pieces on the oil pan.
  4. Coat the oil pan seal end tabs generously with Permatex® No. 2 or equivalent, and position the seal on the timing case cover.
  5. Position the timing case cover on the engine. Place Timing Case Cover Alignment Tool and Seal Installer J-22248 in the crankshaft opening of the cover.
  6. Install the cover-to-block screws and oil pan-to-cover screws. Tighten the cover-to-block screws to 60 inch lbs. and the oil pan-to-cover screws to 11 ft. lbs.
  7. Remove the cover aligning tool and position the replacement oil seal aligning tool in the case. Position the replacement oil seal on the tool with the seal lip facing outward. Apply a light film of Perfect Seal, or equivalent, on the outside diameter of the seal.
  8. Insert the draw screw from Tool J-9163 into the seal installing tool. Tighten the nut against the tool until the tool contacts the cover.
  9. Remove the tools and apply a light film of engine oil to the seal lip.
  10. Install the vibration damper and tighten the retaining screw to 80 ft. lbs.
  11. Install the damper pulley. Tighten the capscrews to 20 ft. lbs.
  12. Install the engine fan and hub assembly.
  13. Install the drive belt(s).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Timin cover and seal assembly on 6-232 and 6-258 engines

COVER INSTALLED
  1. Remove the drive belts.
  2. Remove the vibration damper pulley.
  3. Remove the vibration damper.
  4. Remove the oil seal with Tool J-9256.
  5. Position the replacement oil seal on the Timing Case Cover Alignment Tool and Seal Installer J-22248 with the seal lip facing outward. Apply a light film of Perfect Seal, or equivalent, to the outside diameter of the seal.
  6. Insert the draw screw from Tool J-9163 into the seal installing tool. Tighten the nut against the tool until the tool contacts the cover.
  7. Remove the tools. Apply a light film of engine oil to the seal lip.
  8. Install the vibration damper and tighten the retaining bolt to 80 ft. lbs.
  9. Install the damper pulley. Tighten the capscrews to 20 ft. lbs.
  10. Install the drive belt(s).

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Removing the front cover oil seal

8-304 Engine
  1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system and disconnect the radiator hoses and by-pass hose.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
  1. Remove all of the drive belts and the fan and spacer assembly.
  2. Remove the alternator and the front portion of the alternator bracket as an assembly.
  3. Disconnect the heater hose.
  4. Remove the power steering pump and/or the air pump, and the mounting bracket as an assembly. Do not disconnect the power steering hoses.
  5. Remove the distributor cap and note the position of the rotor. Remove the distributor. See the Engine Electrical Section.
  6. Remove the fuel pump.
  7. Remove the vibration damper and pulley.
  8. Remove the two front oil pan bolts and the bolts which secure the timing chain cover to the engine block.

The timing gear cover retaining bolts vary in length and must be installed in the same locations from which they were removed.

1. Remove the cover by pulling forward until it is free of the locating dowel pins.
  2. Clean the gasket surface of the cover and the engine block.
  3. Pry out the original seal from inside the timing chain cover and clean the seal bore.

To install:
  1. Drive the new seal into place from the inside with a block of wood until it contacts the outer flange of the cover.
  2. Apply a light film of motor oil to the lips of the new seal.
  3. Before reinstalling the timing gear cover, remove the lower locating dowel pin from the engine block. The pin is required for correct alignment of the cover and must either be reused or a replacement dowel pin installed after the cover is in position.
  4. Cut both sides of the oil pan gasket flush with the engine block with a razor blade.
  5. Trim a new gasket to correspond to the amount cut off at the oil pan.
  6. Apply sealer to both sides of the new gasket and install the gasket on the timing case cover.
  7. Install the new front oil pan seal.
  8. Align the tongues of the new oil pan gasket pieces with the oil pan seal and cement them into place on the cover.
  9. Apply a bead of sealer to the cutoff edges of the original oil pan gaskets.
  10. Place the timing case cover into position and install the front oil pan bolts. Tighten the bolts slowly and evenly until the cover aligns with the upper locating dowel.
  11. Install the lower dowel through the cover and drive it into the corresponding hole in the engine block.
  12. Install the cover retaining bolts in the same locations from which they were removed. Tighten to 25 ft. lbs.
  13. Assemble the remaining components in the reverse order of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: With the timing case bolts removed, the timing cover can be pulled off

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Pul the front cover off of the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Once the front cove is removed, the timing gear is available

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Be sure to clean the gasket mating surface of the front cover

graphic

graphic

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you for waiting
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Been going over the instructions you sent me for eval the timing in my engine. I dont understand exactly what Im supposed to do once I get the timing cover off and how this is going to take care of my problem. Help me understand to make it easier for me to tackle this problem.

Ok first lets start over so I know from the begging and we do not make you do things that are not necessary.

1-Please tell me what all you have changed out.

2-Does the crank over ok but will not start, is this still correct?

3-When it died where you at a intersection or driving down the road?

4-When was the fuel filter last changed?

5-Does your gas gauge work properly?

6-Did anything happen before it stalled?

7-Are you still getting spark from the Spark plug it self?

8-Have you done a Fuel Pressure test? If so I need to know what the fuel pressure was.

9-Have you done a vacuum test?

10- Have you had the battery and the alternator tested and check the battery connections?

A vehicle need 3 things to make it run, Spark, Fuel, and Air, we need to check which one of these is the problem and then go from there.

The more I know the better I can help you.

Thank you for letting me know you need more help, I want you to be able to do this so you can save yourself money.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. changed out solenoid, battery, ignition coil, water pump, radiator,

2. cranks over normally just wont keep running

3. died driving down street

4. fuel filter changed 6 mos. ago

5. gag gauge does not work

6. seems like it was losing power .

7. getting spark to the plugs

8. fuel pressure test is foreign to me. did remove gas line going to carbuerator just past

fuel filter with good flow of gas while cranking

9. in past and was ok. replaced all vacuum hoses about 6 mos. ago. can you perform vacuum test w/o engine running?

10. new battery. alternator checked out ok at autozone

11. tried suggestion to put some gas in carbuerator with no change or even temporary run of engine

12. can the problem be the vacuum system itself, would that prevent the engine from starting even for a sec?

Ok if you poured gas down the carb and still did not start we know it is not a fuel problem.

If you are getting spark this is good because that rules out electrical problem.

Now the problem is a Air issue or a compression problem or a internal broken problem like a broken cam or crank shaft, or timing chain, or the key is missing in the crank.

First you need to check the oil, if the oil is very low and dirty then it could be a internal problem like a broken cam are crank due to lack of oil.

Then do a vacuum test.

If the vacuum is ok

Then get a socket and put it on the crank shaft and turn the engine by using a breaker bar, if you turn the engine and it is very easy, then it is broken chain, crank, or cam.

If it turn over tightly like it should then you need to check the chain and the marks.

If you need more help please let me know and I will be more then happy to send you more information and if you need pic I can do that also for you.

Please let me know if you do find out what it was.

Thank you again
Repair1014U, Repair shop owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I get to a vacuum test, how do I do that if the engine is not running?