Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Jeep Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

jeep Liberty: i have a 2006 jeep liberty i got a code of p1697

i have a 2006 jeep liberty i got a code of p1697 what do i need to do to fix this code
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The P1697 is pointing to a fault with the PCM (on-board computer) not being able to accept information, specifically the milage, to be programmed/written to the internal memory (aka EEPROM, think of it like a mini hard-drive inside the computer). Diagnostic of this code will require a scan-tool, but most commonly, the PCM will need to be replaced. There is a chance it can be reprogrammed/reset, but this is not always successful. With the use of a scan tool, a "manual" force write must be attempted. If it fails, the PCM will need to be replaced.