Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.
12104952

2007 Jeep Wrangler: with 3.8L V6..problems with engine noise..spun

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler with 3.8L V6. Had some problems with engine noise. Now at dealer and they are telling me #1 rod bearing spun on motor. Also telling me that they can do a short block for 5700 or the long bock for 6500. The Jeep has 73,000 on it. Here is my question...what types of probems has Chrysler seen with this motor. I drove trucks for over 20 years so I know engines and how to take care of them. As I see and some of the reports I've read, this should not be happening unless there is a factory defect somewhere in the motor. A different mechanic I had look at it prior to taking it back to the dealer also told me #3 should either be spun or getting there. What's up with this motor and how many other engines have went through this same event? What do you know about factory defects from this motor?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.

The biggest issue these engine have is with oil consumption.

As you may know if an engine is run low on oil, and there is some bearing damage as a result of that, then you will run the risk of spinning a bearing.

The bearing is not going to spin unless there has been done prior damage to it from either running low on oil or from poor lubrication due to lack of oil changes.

In our dealership we haven't had any bearing failures yet, but we have had a few of them where the oil consumption was excessive and they were replaced under warranty.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I may receive credit for my time assisting you today. Subscription customers are also asked to do the same since it doesn't cost you any more to do so. Thanks.