Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Jeep Grand Cherokee: I get fault code 27 on my 1994 Jeep Grand

Customer Question

I get fault code 27 on my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee. What should I do to fix it? I replaced the injectors but no change.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you

Brad :

Ok, since you have replaced half of the injectors you should Ohm the rest of them with Ohm-Meter..a good reading is around 14.5 Ohms... If its way out, replace that injector...

Brad :

Code 27 Injector control circuit

Brad :

Injector output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.

Brad :

if you have anymore questions just ask..

Brad :

Well I want to Thank You for choosing JustAnswer. It was my pleasure assisting you, and if you have any future questions feel free to Request me

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-dodgetech77/ Thank you and have a greatday!!!!! Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have ohmed all the injectors they were all within specs.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Ok, here is the issue... The code 27 is a generic code saying that Injector control circuit Injector output driver does not respond properly to the control signal. In order to continue diagnostics we need to norrow that down... If you can get it scanned at a Advanced Auto or Autozone they will give you another code that will tell us which cyl is causing the problems.. When you get that info I will be able to assist you more... Because right now we will be checking all of the injectors and doing alot of unnessassary testing... Get the code and reply back and we can go from there...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I will tryto get it scanned tomorrow. I can tell you that with the engine running unpluging injector 1, 2 or 3 has no effect on it. Unplugging 4, 5, or 6 each will kill the engine.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
There is wiring, and all 1-2-3 injectors are all on separate circuits... Get that code and we will go from there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We don't have Advanced Auto in our area and AutoZone says they do not do OBD 1 scans. Any suggestions??
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if you cant get the codes read.. Then you will need to check all the injectors... Measure the green wire.. It should be 12v on all Injectors... Then take the a testlight and attach the clip to Positive on battery and check the other wire on all Injectors,,, It should flash while its running for all them... Let me know what you find
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All injector green wires have 12v, all injector other wires flash as they should.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

And you said that you have checked the injectore and replaced the PCM... Was it a new PCM?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was not a new PCM. The fault code 27 was not there when I first installed it. It came after I had run the engine for a while.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Well if the Injectors are within spec, and wiring is good.. It will have to be PCM.. Why was PCM the first time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why was PCM the first time? I don't understand your question. I replaced the original just as a shot in the dark. Obviously that was not the problem.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Ok, just making sure that you was replacing the PCM trying to fix this issue... Ok, you said that unplugging 1-2-3 doesnt make any effect on your engine.. But unplugging 4-5-6 will shut engine off.. That means that 1-2-3 arent working.. and you said for sure the green wire has 12v.. And you tested the other wire for ground by clipping test light on Battery + Positive and the other wires are flashing? If so the injectors arent working.. But you said you replaced 1-2-3 injectors.. Can you swap 1-2-3 with 4-5-6- and see what happens? Id like to see if they fire on them cylinders
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I'll give it a try. Do I need to replace both injector grommets each time I take them out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I swapped the injectors everything still the same. When I unplugged 1 or 2 nothing happened.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Ok, If that is the case then for sure something is wrong with wiring.... If you took 1-2-3 and swapped it with 4-5-6 and 4-5-6 are working fine... Then yes there is a wiring or PCM issue... What I dont understand is why they are flashing correctly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's next?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
If what you are telling me with the wires and injectors, then the next step is to replace the PCM with a new one... The injectors only have 2 wires.. the Green is shared 12v with all injectors and the other is Injector driver circuit directly from PCM....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You think both PCM's I have are defective? A new PCM is $250-400. I don't have much confidence that will cure the problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Considering PCM has been replaced and injectors have been tested it sounds like a wiring problem between pcm and injectors. Use a LED testlight to see if each injector has good ground pulse..Whatever one doesnt have ground pulse test wiring between that injector and PCM for shorted/open circuits..If good replace pcm..If shorted or open run new wires or replace harness. Check the splice A-142, at the rear of the wiring harness that runs next to the valve cover, for poor connection on injector feeds..Here is a wire diagram to help with testing and troubleshooting instructions for injector 2..troubleshooting will be the same for each injector just on diffferent wires. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

http://db.tt/1Sp7r8T

http://db.tt/nB4SMejE

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database