Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Jeep Patriot Sport: How do I get lower ball joint out of a

Customer Question

How do I get lower ball joint out of a 2008 patriot. I have taken both bolts out for lca and removed pinch bolt. How do I get the ball joint out?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.

The best way to approach this is to leave the 2 pivot bolts in place and just remove the pinch bolt. Then you can turn the wheel to the side and drive a punch into the split in the knuckle around the joint. This will help to spread the pinch a bit. Then you can use a large bar to pry downward using the frame as a fulcrum point or even the tie rod end.

If you are in the snow belt where there is a lot of rust, then lots of penetrating fluid will help as well.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First will this bend my control arm? Could I use a fork to separate?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
No not at all.

If you have a fork you can use it, but these will normally damage the boot, just so you know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I drive a punch in the split a little after removing pinch bolt. Then I can use a fork to get the ball joint out. I guess I am not real concerned about the boot because I want to replace it . The prying requiered should not damage the control arm and the ball joint will still need to be pressed out of control arm. Would this be correct?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that would be correct, however Chrysler does not service the joint separately.

The lower ball joint is not serviced separately from the control arm on this vehicle.

If it is determined that the ball joint is out of specification, the entire lower control arm must be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is replacing just the ball joint doable because that is what I bought and people on Patriot.com say that they have done this?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
I've personally never tried because I am in a dealership and we always change the complete arm.

I just checked Autozone's site and they only list a complete arm, not a separate joint.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you check napa and then give me your answer? I know that dealerships will always give me the same thing and that will be something that cannot be greased and will continue to go out.
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Yes, Napa does list a separate joint, but it sounds like you already know that.

So, all you can do is take it apart, and try and remove the old one. There is no documented procedure for removing it however, so hopefully the new one will come with instructions to aid you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Won't a press remove it and replace it?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but sometimes there are additional steps involved before just pressing it out. When the joints aren't intended to be serviced they are quite often retained to the arm in some fashion..........tach welds or peened in place. That's all I'm getting at.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is that the case for 2008 jeep patriot?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
As I mentioned, I haven't tried to remove one because they are not designed to be removed. You will have to check it out once you have the arm removed.

Personally, you would be much better off to simply replace the complete arm.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are the expert. I know most want to sell me a control arm with ball joint and mark it and make it a 500 dollar expense. Then moog and napa came out with just the ball joints to replace and they cost about 50 a piece. You are the expert. Could you just change the ball joint in your own garage? If they could not be changed then why would they be offered? I am looking for an unbiased answer and I am getting a company man answer. I want to know and I have already looked all over the internet. Can it be done with a 2008 jeep patriot?
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.
Well, I think I have given my answer and it isn't something you wish to hear, so I will let the others offer you their opinions.

Best of luck with this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can just the lower ball joint be removed and replaced in a 2008 jeep patriot?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Im a Jeep tech.... The lower ball joint on this vehicle is not serviced separatly.. In order to change it, you will need to order a lower control arm... If you need other assistance, feel free to ask... Thanks for choosing JustAnswer....Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just the ball joint is offered through napa and moog. Can just the ball joint be replaced or are these places selling products that cannot be replaced?
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

This is from Chryslers website... This is the directions I follow at dealership...

02 - Front Suspension/Front/BALL JOINT, Suspension/Description

DESCRIPTION

If it is determined from the Diagnosis and Testing procedure that the ball joint is out of specification, the entire lower control arm must be replaced.

But if the Aftermarket part stores offer just the balljoint...You will need to press it out and press new one back in...