Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

1996 Jeep Cherokee: heater (blower) and it was blowing..gas station

Customer Question

We have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee right hand drive that my wife uses for work. Yesterday she turned on the heater (blower) and it was blowing perfectly. She stopped at the gas station, turned the car off. When she got back in and started the car the blower started right up again but after a few minutes it stopped. We haven't been able to get it to blow since. We checked the fuses and they all look good. We replaced the resistor, relay, high medium low switch and blower motor 9 months ago and have had no problems until yesterday. This morning I double checked the resistor and its fine. We did go ahead and replaced the blower motor this afternoon. It still won't start. Any advice would be very much appreciated as I need to try and get her heater working again by Monday morning. Thanks!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked fuses?

Do you have a voltmeter or test light to do some testing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes we checked the fuses and they looked fine, nothing was blown. I don't have a voltmeter or test light.

The resistor is tested with a voltmeter or test light. How did you test your resistor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We didn't test the resistor but it was replaced 9 months ago. I took the resistor out this morning and the coils were all fine nothing looked burned or broken. The blower won't turn on at any setting, low to high. If it was the resistor wouldn't the blower still turn on a high?

The resistor can cause any combination of motor speed loss, and a visual inspection won't always tell you anything about it's condition.

Would you like to get hold of a test light or meter so we can diagnose the actual problem? You should be able to pick up a cheap test light for under $10.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll get a test light and try it. Please keep in mind that I'm about as mechanically inclined as a turnip. So once I have the test light where do I touch it to on the resistor?

I'll walk you through everything you need to do, nothing to worry about.

The first think I'd like to do is go out to the blower motor and unplug it. Ground the alligator clip of the test light, touch the probe end of the light to the terminal in the motor connector on the dark green wire. Turn the blower motor on high and turn the key on, see if the test light lights up.

If that's ok then move the alligator clip over to battery positive and probe the black wire in the connector and see if it lights up.

Let me know what you find for both and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I'm going to need to buy a test light. I checked around here and have nothing. After I get the light and do the test will I be able to reach you to continue? It won't be until tomorrow.

Yes, just come back and reply to this same question with your findings and we can take it from there. I'll be online all day tomorrow.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome! Thank you, I'll get back to once I get the test done.

Sounds great!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning sprinkles08! I checked the wires with the test light and it doesn't lite up when I touch either wire.

That would mean you had two separate problems if you did it correctly. It's possible but not that likely.

Attach the alligator clip of the test light to battery ground and then probe the positive battery terminal. Does it light up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it lit up.

Great.

Leave it clamped to battery negative post and turn the key on. Turn the blower motor switch to high and probe the wire in the motor connector on the dark green wire and see if it lights up. If not, go about three inches up from the connector and pierce the wire and see if it lights up there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok im going to need to go get a test light with a much longer cord to leave the clamp on the negative post and reach where the blower motor is at. Will you be here in a little bit?

Yes, I'll be here all day. If you can't reach the blower motor for some reason while clamped to the battery post just make sure you're using a good grounded unpainted metal part to ground the alligator clip.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again sprinkles. I just did the test and the green wire doesn't lite up the test lite at the front of the wire so I pierced it about 3 inches up the wire and it still doesn't turn on the lite.

We're going to need to go to either the ignition switch or the control head on the dash next and check for power. Let me know whichever you prefer to take apart and I'll tell you what to check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which one is going to be the easiest with the least amount of parts to put back together? Whichever is what I guess we will try.
The ignition switch would be quickest and easiest but you'll need a Torx screwdriver to get the steering column cover off. Do you have a T-20 Torx screwdriver?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope I know I don't have that.

Ok. Let's go ahead and access the control head then. Once removed find the black/tan wire and see if it has power with the key on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. Is the control head the switch that turns the heater on?

Correct, it's the control on the dash where you turn it on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok be back in a bit.

Ok.