Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

95 jeep grand cherokee laredo: alarm system..engine turns..unlock

Customer Question

How to disable the alarm system on a 95 jeep grand cherokee laredo. Every time I try to start the car the engine turns the security lights flash and thats about all it will do. This problem has been around for a bit but before I could just get out and unlock the drivers side door and the car would start. I've heard you can disable the alarm by grounding a certain wire any thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Are you certain that it is an alarm issue on your vehicle preventing it from starting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'm fairly sure. When the alarm goes off a few times in a row it would seem the battery is getting drained, but than once the alarm does shut off you have full power to the radio horn ect...
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You can do this by momentarily grounding the disarm wire at the anti theft module with the key off and out of the ignition. Then start the engine and disconnect the anti theft module and let the engine run for another minute or so. The PCM will actually learn that there is no longer an anti theft system and you will be good to go!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you walk me through how to do those two things? I've been told that's a good fix I just need to know what wires to ground and that sort of thing
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

The alarm module is under the dash either near the center of the vehicle or towards the drivers side. The wire you need to ground is pin 4 the VT/YL wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's the best way to get at it?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
From under the dash. You may have to remove some plastic covers and such, but it will not be hard. The connector going into the alarm module will have 21 wires
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to start it with the alarm fuses pulled? I guess at this point I would just want to start it and bring it somewhere to get it disarmed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
I do not believe this will work otherwise a burglar would just simply pull the alarm or anti theft fuse and away with your vehicle. Why would the engineers built the security system like that. So sorry.. but that is not the way it works.

I have answered your question and then some.. I would appreciate it if you would accept my answer.

Best Regards
<br/Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah that was a bad question, but I am also not a mechanic I'm just looking for some walk through of how to turn this darn alarm off. I don't really know which wire to splice and ground is it red green blue? Just give me a good rundown and I'll be good. so far all of this stuff is fairly available but not a lot of help as far as how to actually do this.

Thanks,
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Sorry for the delay! I am out picking up my little one from daycare. I am using my I phone. I did give you all of the instructions on how to to this. Again, you need to ground the VT/YL wire on pin 4 of the alarm module to do this. Please follow the instructions that I have posted for you in my previous post. Thanks!
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not quite sure where the alarm module is, or what is really looks like.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
It looks like a small silver or gray box... Like a mini computer. I can send a picture when I get home. It is under the dash on the drivers side or near the center of the vehicle. You will just have to get in there and take a look
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great a picture would be perfect.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Sorry for the delay!

According to the picture, it is located on the right side of the dash

Click here