Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee: s liftgate sensor keeps going..latch..push

My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee's liftgate sensor keeps going off, even thought the liftgate is shut and secure. It looks like the latch hook has 2 hook settings, the first one only latches the back slightly with the 2nd more secure hooking it all the way, which shuts off the light.
No matter how hard I shut the door or how hard I push, it doesn't seem to make that 2nd latch/hook go.
How do I fix this?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Tracer :

Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to assist you today.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
had to switch from chat, sorry. gathering some info now. back shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is this the chat?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
The question is going to be, is it the latch that has failed OR the latch is not being depressed far enough by the striker. You will have to use a screwdriver to see if you can trip the 2 stages of the latch. if so. you can loosen the striker bolts and it will move around slightly and kind of adjust it Or you can add a couple thin washers behind the striker to make it trip the latch deeper. IF? the latch cant be manually set, then its most likely bad. the trim panel comes off then you can see the latch. No repair info for just latch but this is what is offered so you cna view it. Click HERE for that info
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I CAN trigger the 2nd stage. How would I attach the washers?
I've looked at moving the striker, but did not see how it would move that much... Is there something else I can try?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
No, I am unsure if that strike does move, I honestly cant remember but most of them do with screws loose. If it not setup that way, then may have to go to latch and adjust it forward.