sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My Jeep wrangler JK does not have 3rd or 4th gears. Trouble

My Jeep wrangler JK does not have 3rd or 4th gears. Trouble codees read P1790-TP (mechanical) Circuit, P0733- Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio, P0734- Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What happens when it should shift into third? Does it rev up like neutral and then go back to second?

Did the problem start suddenly, or had it been slipping into third for a while?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When shifter is in drive position it acts like it's in nuetral. if I use shift lever put it in first gear and then shift to second it goes OK from first to second gear, but if I manually shift it to third it goes into nuetral like there is no third or fourth gears. Some times it just stays in second gear and and wont downshift into 1st unless Iput it into 1st with the shift lever. I have an automatic transmission.

If it happened suddenly then you have a broken overdrive clutch hub or planetary geartrain problem. It's very likely to be a broken hub. The overdrive clutch hub is splined to the overdrive clutch discs and has a shaft the transmits power to the geartrain in third and fourth gear.

If the problem started with it slipping into third gear then it's going to be a failed overdrive clutch. Either way the trans will need to be disassembled for repair.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks you. I talked with another technician and that's what he thought as well. I just wanted another opinion before I spent 2K to hve him fix it. Is this a comon problem with the JK?
No it's not a common problem, but it's something I've seen over the years here and there. This trans design has been in use since the late 80's so I've had my share of experience with them.