sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2006 jeep commander: wont start..ignition key..dashboard turn

my 2006 jeeep commander won't start. Never had this problem before (bought new) I pit new goldline 184$ battery n it last night. When I turn ignition key lights on dashboard turn on but it sounds like air coming from engine? No engine action... At all.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still hear the fuel pump run for 1-2 seconds when the key is first turned on?

Does it show that you are in park; have you tried starting it in neutral?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
trying n neutral now and for first question I hear air
When the problem first happened did it just not start? Or did it start, run very briefly and then die?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. Now I'm able to start enginebut it dies.

Have you tried a second key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mom lost second key? But engine starts now but dies shortly after and red dot flashes on top right of dash. Never mind now it doesn't start again.

It starts and dies and locks the starter out because of the SKIM system. There is a transponder chip in the key that communicates with a module in the dash. This module then communicates with the powertrain control module to allow the engine to start and run. If all don't agree then it will start and die three times and then lock the starter out.

This is a failed key or wireless control module (WCM). Usually a locked up WCM will come back at least temporarily with a power cycle, disconnecting the battery most likely would have allowed it to start again if it was the WCM. It will take some diagnostics with a scan tool to see exactly what is going on, whether it's the WCM or a bad key.