brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

98 Jeep: 5.2 Coolant Temperature Sensor Bad

Customer Question

98 Jeep GC Limited 5.2 Coolant Temperature Sensor Bad. Need a picture of location.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. What code are you getting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found a picture online and location of sensor. Your question of which code am i getting does not help. Going to take altenator out first before we continue. For now I wish to with draw my question and funds.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
I was trying to get more information from you to help you solve the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know Jeff. That statement was not a reflection on your service. That statement was to ensure that I have not used the just ask service. I have found an answer my self in a picture online. I want to remove the alternator 1st. If I don't find the sensor I will contact you again.

Other wise I wish to withdraw my question for now. With no answer received.

Thanks
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK......no problem. I think your tracing the wrong problem so let me know if it doesn't work and you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I will let you know.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok alternator moved aside ac compressor moved aside. And as I suspected, (but would have been pissed if I didn't check 1st), no sensor where picture said it would be. SO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL question.

My problem is this:

Vehicle is a 98 JGC Limited 5.2
Information panel flashes orange box in the car diagram. beeps twice and says Coolant sensor bad.

Getting poor gas milage
engine stumbles while driving.
and some times after running around and the engine is warm or hot. start the engine and the engine idels rough as if to try and catch up or misfire, but no codes and no check engine light.

I have replaced:
Cat
O2 sensors
engine control Mod.
Idle Air Control sensor
Ignition coil
wires
plugs
cap & rotor
AS WELL as the engine coolant sensor and still get the orange box and the statement that the coolant sensor is bad.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK.......first off you have 2 problems and they are not related......

Problem 1: The coolant sensor in question is the sensor in the overflow container and this is the one that needs replaced.

Problem 2: Need more information here. Has the compression of the engine been checked and if so what are the readings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they have not been checked
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK.....can you do this? I would like to make sure mechanically everything is good before testing the other components.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that will be beyond my scope.
I don't have the tools for either.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK......have you checked fuel pressure and if so what was the reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't but the fuel pump has been replaced. 2yrs ago, and I don't have those tools. All that I have done is what is I have mentioned already. no further testing has been done.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
When the idle air control motor was replaced did you clean out the passageway for it and the throttle body?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sprayed a cleaner in it. It was obvious that it has been burning rich. I used a throttle body cleaner. But I did not take the throttle body apart.

No sure if this discription will help but...

If i rev the engine at a steady 1500 rpm you can feel a "rumble" if you will like it is slightly off.

When it idles rough and I try to rev the engine it only spits and sputters, So I thought maybe timeing was off some how, thinking CAM shaft sensor. possible.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Does the misfire or sputtering seem to be coming out the exhaust or the intake or are you saying the engine itself just has a rough feel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine it self feels rough. Like a rolling rumble around a track
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
is the engine always feel this way or only when hot or cold etc. ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hot
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried cleaning the injectors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yup with the stuff you poor down the throttle body, and all the white smoke.

or

take them out and clean them.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
You need to clean them by putting the cleaner into the fuel rail so it goes through the injectors. No need to take them out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where were you going with the compression testing. I am losing oil but not on the ground.

and how do i get the cleaner in the fuel rail

Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Can have low compression causing you this problem. There are several things that can cause low compression. As for the injector cleaning they make a kit to attach to the fuel rail. Normally a test port there to attach it to
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but would it run rough all the time with low compression.

Never does it when it is cold first strart up in the moring.

some times when it is hot And it typically works it self out. Because it runs great most of the time I feel as though it is a sensor or the injectors like you are suggesting. But I am about out of sensors. I have a crank position sensor, and wonder about the cam shaft sensor.

When I rev the engine not allways but some times there may be a pop out of the exhaust.

I am going to reinstall the AC and Alternator and get it running again I wll be back.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK.....normally a crank sensor and cam sensor will act up when hot not cold. Leaning towards a fuel problem and would start by cleaning the injectors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks,

reason you are telling me the coolant sensor issue is in the bottle and not the engine is because....

the code is in the information center, and not an engine code?

correct?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
Correct.....if the coolant sensor on the engine was the problem the check engine light on the dash would be on and there would be a code for it
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Earlier you said ...

"OK.....normally a crank sensor and cam sensor will act up when hot not cold. Leaning towards a fuel problem and would start by cleaning the injectors"

And that is when the problem occurs. When it is warm/hot.

taking throttle body apart now to inspect and clean.

I will find out how to clean the injectors directly through the rail.

But I still have my concerns that it is a sensor, only because if the injectors were clogged, wouldn't the jeep always run bad?

Is my line of thinking off

Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
OK.....for some reason was thinking it was acting up cold.......anyway the statement I made is correct and a cam sensor and crank sensor will act up hot so possible one is acting up as they normally wont leave a code when failing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok so back to square one. I will try the injector cleaner first. I already have the Crank sensor. and if that does not work,,, WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A JEEP?

But glad to know that the engine coolant sensor is not bad.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 2 years ago.
I have one already......lol