Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee: keys..the car - how can I unlock car

Customer Question

I am locked out of a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and keys are in the car - how can I unlock car?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

unfortunately, unless you have a secondary key or remote key fob, the only way to unlock your Jeep WITHOUT damaging anything is with a jimmy stick which are not sold at parts stores. you will have to call a locksmith to have them use a jimmy stick to open the vehicle for you.

I understand that you are hoping for a way to do this yourself, but outside of prying a door with a crowbar and using a coathanger to open it, there is no way to do this yourself. And I dont recommend prying the door as it will damage it and possibly shatter a window
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have seen these flat bars -used to be in law enforcement- how long does it have to be to catch the lock inside the door?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I went and measured mine. It is 20" in length. the end of it has a crook cut out like below:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

has to be very thin sheet metal to be able to slide between the door glass and door to get to lock actuator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a slate nail puller which is very similar to a slim jim- can get in and down- but doesnt seem to catch anything- only has a v hook at end- but is long enough- does it have to have the j hook to get it?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

yes, needs the J hook to catch and pull up door lock actuator rod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Eric- finally managed to find a locksmith who was awake, and less than a thousand miles away- still cant figure why this would lock with the key in the car with the electronic action- but this is my usual luck- Do I pay you for this answer? never did this before...Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

sorry you couldnt get it with your tool you made.

as to paying for the answer. it is up to you. if you feel it was helpful, then click the accept button to pay. if not, then you dont need to do anything further and the question times out