Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.

2006 Jeep Liberty: 2.8l..diesel engine..it was the belt tensioner

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty, 2.8l diesel engine. Three months ago a "Clic-a-clic-a-clic" noise started to be heard. My mecanic found out it was the belt tensioner. I got a new one installed and there was no more noise. Then the same noise came back a couple of weeks ago. I made the following test yesterday: using a long and strong screwdriver, I pushed down on the tensioner while the car was idle and the noise stops while I keep the pression down. When I release, it starts again. The noise occurs while the engine runs idle with transmission in "Drive" position, such as when waiting on a red light. If at that time I gear to "Neutral", the noise reduces by 50%. The tensioner being nearly 380$ (can$) + 3 hours time, I do not want to have a new one again and still face the noise a months after. Any clue for me?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Dave :

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. With the test you did you have proven it to be the tensioner. If you had it done at a dealership it would be under warranty for 12,000 miles or 12 months so you could get it done at no charge to you. If you had it done at an independent I would check with them on their warranty. It is possible you got ahold of a bad one, the belt is to stretched for the tensioner to stay tight enough, the mounting bolts are not tight. The reason some of the noise goes away when you put it in neutral is because you remove the torque from the engine so it doesn't have to work as hard so there is less force against the belt etc.

Customer:

Sorry for the delay... I am french speaking and it takes me a little more time to read and write :-)Thank you very much. I will get back to my mecanic monday with your answer and ahve the tensioner adjusted. one more question: is there any risk in driving the Jeep 3 or 4 more days before getting the adjustment done?

Dave :

no, you should be ok. But, as far as the adjustment, that would only be if the mountinbg bolt is a little loose. There is no adjustment of the tensioner for tightning it up against the belt. They are spring loaded that is why it can move back and forth. You can check the bolt tightness by taking your screw driver and with the engine off see if you can rock it back and forth away from the engine.

Customer:

Thank you very much. Now how tdoes that work for me to pay the 18$ ?

Dave :

You just need to hit the accept button. And thank you

Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience: Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.