Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee: The automatic transmission..slipping

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The automatic transmission will not shift out of first and second gear. The transmission acts like it's slipping. Changed the speed sensor, adjusted the shift cable...and it still will not shift properly.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.

Dave :

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. Have you checked the fluid level and condition? Remember you need to check the fluid when it is hot and the trany is in neutral. If it is black or smells burnt you have a internal trany problem. If the RPM's are going up but engine speed is not increasing then the clutches in the trany are slipping and the trany would need to be overhauled.