Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.

Jeep Wrangler Hello I have a 1993 jeep wrangler there is

Hello I have a 1993 jeep wrangler there is no spark or fuel all the gauges work it cranks over fine all the fuses are good and relays I changed the crank sensor when I turn the key a=oil presser comes up as all the other gagues work but the tach dosnt move is it the computer??????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.

hello, The coil will need to be tested for power and spark -- also there is a pick up plate under the distributor cap that controls spark also

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put on a new coil and no fuel pressure at the rail could the fuel pump and the plate in the dist. go bad at the same time or is it a computer ploblem??? I will give a tip when the problem is found
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.

have you replaced the automatic shut down relay yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just put in a new pick up plate under the cap where is the shut down relay I did put in 4 new relays that are next to all the fuses under the hood and yes all fuses are good in the cab except the acc. it has no power to it
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.

now you have narrowed it down to the wiring or the engine controller

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you say I need a new ECU
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.

now-- we need to check all power and ground to the engine controller to make sure we have it there -- do you have a scan tool -- this way we can see if the computer is responsive

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have one but its for 1996 and above I dont see any where to plug it in what power and ground should I look for
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
we need one for this year -- as far as what to look for -- corrosion, open bare wires -- pushed out terminals etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just put in a ecu from my 95 wrangler and still no fuel or spark I have already looked for bad wires and loose plugs im ready to get the sledg hammer out!!!
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
when you turn key on does the check engine light come on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I first turn the key on the seat belt lite goes on and when I crank the stater th brake light stays lit when I do it a second time only the brake lite shows
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
so the check engine light does not come on at all? with key cycle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
getting closer-- you eliminated ecu by swap -- without a check engine light computer is not coming on-- so with this being said we need to use a volt meter and check for 12 volts at the ecu(battery voltage)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
out of all the terminals in the plug only one has power to it with or with out the key on? is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
out of all the terminals in the plug only one has power to it with or with out the key on? is that correct? is there any way to run a hot wire to it?
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
we should have battery power on one wire -- do we?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
was the computer you used out of same car same engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the jeep yester day I never heard it run the guy said it was the computer but Im wondering if one of the peaple that wanted to but it did some thing to it so it wouldnt run ?
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
here is the deal -- if we have power and ground to the ecu and no check engine light coming on -- result -- bad ecu
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the jeep yester day I never heard it run the guy said it was the computer but Im wondering if one of the peaple that wanted to but it did some thing to it so it wouldnt run ? the other ecu was out of my 1995 wrangler it plugged in but the numbers were different
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1991 to 1995 are the same arent they im still lost
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
if it is the same engine and trans
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the one that wont start is a manual the other is automatic looked at a ecu on ebay and they said that they were the same so you think im back to the ecu is shot?
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
that is where we have ended up-- it needs a new ecu
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim I have a ECU coming after I install it and thats the fix I will accept and give you a tip thank you Tommy
Expert:  TIM replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello back to square one I put the new ECU in and still no spark,fuel,or check engin lite????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there any easy way to by pass and get this Jeep to run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I need to finde what the problem is
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. Alright lets do this. I am sending you a diagram of the ECU connector. I have highlighted a box in front of the wires I need you to check. One is for power that should be there all the time, one is for power in run or start and two are for grounds. Remove the connector from the ECU to test it. Make sure the battery is at least up to 11.6V. If you have the powers and grounds then I want you to go to the ASD relay, pull it out and check for voltage with the key off, there should be one socket with voltage on it now turn the key to run and there should be two with voltage. I am sending you a diagram of both the PDC and the Junction block. In the junction block check and make sure you have voltage on both sides of fuse 5 and in the PDC make sure you have voltage on both sides of fuse F1. Let me know what you get. .graphic

Power dist. center under hood

graphic

Junction block

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello can you call me and get this to run I will pay $100 ??? thank you Tommy 941=830=1005
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Tom, I am sorry but via the contract with justanswer all communications need to be done via this website. The easiest way for you to do these tests is with a test light. There very cheap and you can get one almost at any store. Just hook the alligator clip to the negative battery post when checking for powers and to the positive battery post when checking for grounds.

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave this is crazy but I tested as you said and there was only one power and like 15 grounds I tried it and didnt work but when I put a 20 anp fuse in the missing dome lite fuse it fired this seems crazy
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

OK, to make sure we do not cause problems or skip tests and get incorrect results only test what I state to test. First with the ECU only test the four wires I mentioned. Then let me know the results. Remember you will have power all the time on pin 3 and get power on pin 9 with the key in run and/or start and you should have ground on pins 11 and 12. The other grounds you are getting are related to various sensors not the grounding of the ECU.

Now you mentioned you put a fuse in the dome light fuse position. You will notice that there is no fuse position in either of the diagrams I sent you that says dome lights. Now if you are talking about the IOD fuse F8 or F16 you do need fuses there in order to have the ECU control certain items. Let me know what fuse you installed per the diagram and if any other fuses are missing per the diagram.

You also said it fired. What do you mean. Did it start or just pop like it wanted to start? With that fuse in do you have fuel pressure now and spark?

Dave

Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience: Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.