Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

Jeep Liberty Sport 2002 jeep liberty..battery light comes

Customer Question

2002 jeep liberty..battery light comes on and dash lights flicker sometimes the radio goes off
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. Use a wire brush to clean battery connections and battery cable connections if that doesnt help have battery load tested which can be done at parts store for free if it fails load test then replace battery. If it passes load test then replace alternator. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dan..replaced battery that did noy work so replaced alternator seemed to work for 2 days battery light came on again and loss of power to dash instruments and radio
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Do a voltage drop test while problem is happening between alternator and battery to see if connections are good. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will try..thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. First I need some information from you.

Do you ever have a problem starting your Jeep such as a dead battery? Do you ever have to jump start the Jeep? Are there any other indications other then the battery warning light and the lights flickering and/or the radio shutting off that there is a problem?

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started with just a battery light and lights flickering..I checked for loose grounds replaced the battery and alternator checked voltage between battery and alternator and that seems to be good but now its even worse all the power flickers radio all lights heat all power but never stalls and always starts

Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I take it then by what you have stated there is no real issue with the battery loosing its charge etc. and for starting it starts like any other vehicle starts. Not slow cranking like a battery that is going dead etc..

The first test I would like you to do when the problem is occurring is to measure the voltage across the battery posts with the vehicle running.

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did that its good..it doesn't have the problem all the time some days its just flickering lights and the radio is uninterrupted other days its everything and some days its fine
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.
Sop when the problem is happening what is the voltage across the battery with the Jeep running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't remember exactly but 12.4 maybe...and I had everything on lights,heat,radio...I can't be sure when I can test it again it hasn't been doing it for about a week so far
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it should be over 13 volts with the Jeep running especially if you had the lights on etc.. So do test it again the next time it is acting up so we are sure of what it is. i am thinking the PCM is not telling the alternator to charge the battery but do not want to send you down the wrong road so really need to know for sure exactly what the voltage is across the battery posts with the Jeep running.

Dave

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok..will let u know as soon as I get it tested..thanks
Expert:  Dave replied 2 years ago.

Sounds good, I will keep an eye open for your reply and get back to you as soon as I can.

Dave