Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2008 jeep liberty: ETC) warning light come..MIL..wont start

2008 jeep liberty has the electronic throttle control (ETC) warning light come on as well as the Malfunction light indicator (MIL) and the vehicle wont start. PS had a towing harness installed a few weeks ago
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let's see if we can get a trouble code to display. Sit in the vehicle with the doors closed and cycle the ignition on and off 3 times (on/off/on/off/on) leave the key on and then look at the odometer display. Tell me if you see a "P" code. If so, tell me what it is.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did this and no "P" code displayed
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

When you turn on the ignition, can you hear the fuel pump in the tank run for about 2 seconds and then turn off?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i hear it run for a few seceonds, and the display kind of does a ticking motion
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Does the engine crank over but not fire, or will it not even crank?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i hear the starter hit and click but the engine does not turn over
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hmm, may just be a very low battery. Can you try and safely jump start the Jeep with another vehicle? If not, then remove the battery and take it to your auto parts store and have it tested. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i will try and jump start the vehicle however the battery light is not on but does show on light test.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

I am pretty sure that this is your problem. If jump starting does not help, then disconnect the negative battery cable for about 2 minutes and then reconnect it. I have seen the Wireless Control Module lock up and cause no start problems. Let me know how it goes,

Chris