DBAutomotive
DBAutomotive, Master Certified Technician
Experience:  I believe I can be of assistance to Jeep clients. I have been exposed to most all makes and models in my 8 years of experience.
51780121

How do I check the transmission fluid in my 2007 Jeep Patriot?

Category: Jeep
Expert:  DBAutomotive replied 5 years ago.

DBAutomotive :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer....

What motor displacement do you have and is it 2WD or 4WD?

Customer:

It is a 4WD

Customer:

I don't know what the motor displacement is...I don't even know what that means

DBAutomotive :

That's fine... I am accessing your information presently.

DBAutomotive :

You're vehicle's automatic transmission comes as a sealed unit and the fluid should be good to 120,000 mi. Unfortunately the vehicle is not equipped with a dipstick for you to test the fluid level yourself. The dealer keeps the dipstick onsite to check fluid levels. Aftermarket companies do offer the dipstick for personal purchase. It runs approx. $60-70.

If you are concerned for the transmission fluid level I suggest finding a shop that has the special tool or seeing the dealer to check/correct the transmission fluid.

DBAutomotive :

Most dealers have a "quick lube" or front area to check bulbs and fluid levels....

Customer:

Who would you suggest as an aftermarket company? I'm not sure what that term means.

Customer:

The transmission is slipping, that is why I am asking this.

DBAutomotive :

Aftermarket companies are like Snap-on, Mac, Matco.... Other tool companies that make tools that are made to the same dimensions and specifications as the dealer's tools.

The Miller tool company makes the dipstick. It is part number- 9336. They can be found online or can direct you to a salesman that it is in your area.

Customer:

Cool. I will let my husband know this. When the transmission slips, it is usually the fluid levels, right?

DBAutomotive :

If you are feeling the transmission slip I recommend taking it into the dealer or a known good transmission repair shop. Catching problems early on can prevent internal damage from becoming more severe. They will need to access the transmission computer to look at what pressures and temperatures the transmission is slipping.

DBAutomotive :

You're transmission also has a series of belts aside from the fluid. I cannot say it is always the fluid that causes the transmission to slip. If there is blockage or a component isn't switching fast enough you can have similar results.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do that. You have been great! Have a great day :)