brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1990 jeep cherokee: distributor..wont start..running right..the timing

have a 1990 jeep cherokee and distributor was put in wrong and timing is now off and wont start. how do i get it where its suppose to be and running right with the timing correct?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. If you brought the piston to top dead and put the distributor in pointing to number 1 on the cap and it still wont start then you most likely have the engine on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke as the piston will be up on the compression and exhaust stroke. take and put the engine back to top dead like you had it with the piston up and the distributor pointing to number one on the cap. Then rotate the engine one revolution until the piston is back up again and then remove the distributor and point it to the number one cylinder on the cap.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
then how do you setbthe timing or get that correct? I just bought it and they replaced all these things but i think did it wrong. It has no pick up and go if you smash the petal like it should in which in has all new parts on motor. thanks lee
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
The computer controls the timing. All you can do is install the distributor correctly and the computer does the rest. Just get the rotor pointing correctly when installing the distributor.

Scribe a mark on the distributor housing below the left side of the number one spark plug wire post of the distributor cap. Then when installed correctly the rotor should be in the 5 o'clock position with the trailing edge of the rotor blade lined up with the scribe mark in the distributor housing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so the rotor point needs to be pointing to the #1 on the distributor cap not the block when you go to line in up correct.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
correct
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for your help sir! how do i get you if i have anymore ?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Even after you click ACCEPT the question will remain open and if you have any follow up questions you can just reply as there is no extra charge for this.