Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Jeep Liberty How do I reset an Error message displayed on

How do I reset an "Error" message displayed on the odometer? I just had to replace a water pump, tensioner and drive belt. This light came on after that work was done.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. That error message may mean that there is an internal problem with the instrument cluster. Try this : with the ignition off press and hold the odometer reset button and while holding the button turn the ignition to the run position. Continue to hold the button for about 2 seconds then release it. This will put the cluster into a self test mode. Let me know what happens and if there is a code displayed at the end of the test.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried this twice and the cluster went into the self test mode. At the end of the tyest, the "Error" was still showing in the odometer window
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok, let me check something, and I will be back.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

It looks like your cluster has failed internally. This is not caused by the other work that was done, but is a coincidence. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 2 minutes and then reconnect it. If the problem still occurs, then have the cluster replaced.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.