joe moore
joe moore, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Technical school graduation ase certification in airconditioning

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee: local programmed

Customer Question

I have 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A local mechanic has diagnosed the problem and determined that the vehicle needs a new BCM.

Can the existing BCM be replaced with a used BCM? If, yes ... does it need to be programmed? Or, do I have to buy a new BCM (> $500). Might there be a work around?

Also, I've read that the key is indicator of the type of BCM required. The key has a thick gray plastic casing that may contain coding.

Please help.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
hi, you can replace it with a used bcm(body control module) as long as it is withing a couple of years of your vehicle.however, it needs to be the same make and model, as different models will have different accessories,electrical items etc..I would recommend going to a bone yard(salvage yard) you may be presently surprised at the pricing. no it doesn't have to be reprogrammed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Joe -

Thanks for the quick reply.

I spoke to a dealer's service and parts department, and they tell me that the unit would need to be reprogrammed because of the BCM's have VINs etched into them.

Further, they noted that if I install a used BCM it will corrupt the other modules associated with BCM. Thus, creating additional (more expensive) issues to repair.

Assuming I am good to go with a replacement BCM ... is it something a weekend mechanic can replace without too much difficulty?

I'm getting conflicting reports from dealers, online forums, etc. Sure could use some helping sorting all of this out.

Jeff -
Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
yes it can be a job for a weekend mechanic, as it is really only a couple of screws mounting it in and I believe a large harness and a small harness. . all this reprogramming is a ploy to make more money.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Joe -

Great news.

Wish me luck.

Many thanks.

Jeff -
Expert:  joe moore replied 5 years ago.
this is why I never recommend dealing with a dealer unless there is no other option. good luck jeff, im sure you'll be fine and your welcome...