jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32yr ASE Master Tech, 9yr Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle
16831211

Jeep Wrangler Sport how do you replace the rear wheel bearings

how do you replace the rear wheel bearings on an 02 jeep wrangler?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Jeep question.

You have to pull the diff cover, pull the 5/16'' headed bolt that holds the spider cross shaft, push in on the axle; the c clip holding it will fall off, and you can then pull out the axle.

But I have to ask; why are you changing the outer axle bearings? They rarely go bad.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's my son's jeep and it sounds like the bearing are making a noise. Some mechanics at the local dealer told him it was the rear bearings. Should I not mess with it?
If they said it was the rear bearing,, they probably meant the diff. bearing, that are replaced in a diff. overhaul. i would not mess with the axle bearing until you get the axle diagnosed with a stethoscope
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think they used a stethoscope but they narrowed it down to the left rear axle bearinig. The Jeep has oversized tires, does this put a strain on the outer bearing? I don't want to overhaul the differential, is it something I need to worry about it breaking later?
I would get a second opinion; these bearings rarely go out. They support the weight; they are not effected by the size on the tires. We replace diff brg's and pinion bearings all the time, but not outer axle bearings