Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

How to check the fuel pressure on a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee

Category: Jeep
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

What engine do you have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
4.0 straight 6 cylinder. The coil pack and plugs have been replaced
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
You check the pressure at the little tire valve on the fuel rail right on front of the engine. The pressure should be about 49.2 psi plus or minus 5 psi.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will you please send me a sketch or schematic on the fuel rail design, because I'be looked for a shradder valve on the fuel rail and didn't see one.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Good morning!

Heres the picture of it:

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will check for the shradder valve on the fuel rail asap
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also, is the fuel pressure regulator assembled with the fuel pump in the tank? (Just incase I'm not getting the correct fuel pressure). And is the fuel filter mounted on the bottom if the fuel tank ?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

The pressure regulator is part of the fuel filter and is bolted to the frame right near the fuel tank.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no testing point as shown on the diagram sent earlier. Is there another way to check fuel pressure?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Take the feed line off and put a gauge right on it.

Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should the connection point just pull right off?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Theres a plastic clip or a latch that has to be undone. Dont pull it off without releasing the latch or clips.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I disconnected the line and turned the ignition switch to the run position and got nothing, but while turning over the starter gas poorer out of the line. Which would you suggest? Change the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator/filter. I'm probably gonna replace both anyway.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
If you pour a little gas down the throttle, does it run for a second?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After turning the starter a few time it started and ran for a few mins, which raised the question is the problem the pump or the regulator. I figured that the pump should spew gas up to the fuel rail as soon as the ignition switch is turned on.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

All that matters is if the pump can build pressure. From here it looks like its the pump. if the regulator was bad, it wouldn't run at all. But, you should do the pump and the filter at the same time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im getting no power to the fuel pump. Ive checked fuses and relays and all were good. There is an icon on the dash that shows a key with a slash across it whenever the ignition switch is turned on. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

Ok, this makes the problem something totally different so put everything back together. The Computer can't read the chip in the key. Only Chrysler or a real good Locksmith can reprogram the key back to the car. The computer thinks the lock has been picked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ive seen this icon before and it started and ran for a few minutes. How/ why would the key loose its program to the jeep?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
When the icon is on, that means the security system has disabled the engine. You cant in any way get it to run when that light is on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
While the icon is still showing should the starter still turn over? Should the the fuel pump operate in iny way. The reason for asking is because before replacing the fuel pump the key icon was showing but the jeep would run for a few minutes and then cut off. Please be very descriptive in the symptoms that will be shown while trying to start the jeep with the key icon showing.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if the icon is on, you need to fix that first. Then see how it acts after.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok