Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

1997 Grand Cherokee....wont turn over...ie...

Customer Question

1997 Grand Cherokee....won't turn over...ie...hit the key and nothing despite new battery, starter, alternator......I think the answer lies with the security system as it enables as soon as the door is opened, even with no key in ignition....I understand much is intertwined with the security system.....where do I start to track down the problem....The Jeep will start from the starter but not from the ignition...??

security is factory installed...Jeep has little over 200K and is otherwise in good condition...I bought it as a second owner....

Thanks for your help....

Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is Jeff and I am here to try and assist your with your question. Have you tried replacing the starter relay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
starter relay gone over and is OK
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
OK.....

Take and remove the starter relay and have someone hold the key in the crank position and tell me which terminals for the relay have voltage to them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jeff.....I am not at my mechanics garage right now....I will send him this info....if not this....what after that.....I will have to get back to you this afternoon..thanks...David
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
David,

The next test will depend on the readings you get. You may have a bad ignition switch or safety neutral switch I need the readings to advise on the next test.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok....as soon as I get to the garage and this is done,,,,I will get back to you.....D
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
ok......talk with you then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all that has been done....according to my mechanic...and it is not starter relay or starter problem...oddly, this problem was occurring 10 days ago.....then 5 days ago it started no problem...then today problem back...the ignition is not sending signal to the starter.,.,.,
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If it has been done can you get me the voltage readings at the relay then? I realize the relay is not the problem but I need the voltage readings at the relay when the key is in the crank position to find out why the relay is not sending voltage to the starter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is no voltage coming to the relay....the security system is preventing power from reaching the relay....I am no mechanic so hopes this helps....
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
None at all? There should be one terminal that has power all the time and has nothing to do with the security system......
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you have a phone #.....I can pass this on to my mechanic.....he can call you if that works....save a lot of time and me acting in between.....he does not have ability to do this on computer in his garage.....
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Sorry the site doesn't allow personal information to go through such as phone numbers and emails.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will get back to you this afternoon....D
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
ok