Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 How do I disconnect the wiring harness

How do I disconnect the wiring harness on the drivers side door of my 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo? its the locking harness that goes thru the door and into passenger compartment. removing and replacing door.

Dave :

Hi, thank you for choosing Justanswer, I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. To disconnect the harness from the door you will need to unscrew the bolt that holds the two ends together. Some came with the bolt head being a 7mm and others a phillips screw and others 27 torx head. All depends on which company manufactured it. The bolt itself is located right in the middle of the connector. You get to it from the door jam side, not inside the door body. Pull the boot back as far as you can from the door side of the harness and if you use a mirror you can see the center of the harness and find out what you need to get the bolt out. Now the bolt wpon't actrually come free from the door jam side of the harness but it will come out of the door side allowing the harness to hang freely in the door jam. Please remember to accpet iof I hVE HELPED YOU.

Customer:

Dave, the connector I'm trying to disconnect is the connector that has the rubber boot that surronds it. it is a locking type connector, with the red slider on it.

Customer:

it does not appear there is a torx or bolt located anywhere on the connector, its just a plactic connector

Customer:

do the 2 pieces slide together and the locking tab holds them in place, or do I have to pry them apart?

Dave :

Ok, where exactly is this connector located. It sounds like you are are talking about a regular locking connector. If that is the case what you need to do is to pull the red locking tab out or up and away from the connector. It maybe hard to get it to move, I use a little screw driver under its tab and pry it up and out of the connector. Once the red lock is up then you can squeeze the tab on the connector and release the two halfs.

Customer:

ok, I was able to slide the red tab left and right, but you have to remove the red tab completely?

Customer:

its the main connector to the door, that controls, door lock, mirro, PW and speaker

Dave :

You shouldn't have to remove it completely but I have found that actually sometimes you do. Its like it slides but not quite enough to allow the connector to actually come apart.

Customer:

10-4! ok, it is 14 years old, so... I image its being difficult, I didnt want to start prying on things and break the backshell, so the new door/connector would be useless

Customer:

the lower hinge flange weld broke, so, I need to completely remove/replace door

Dave :

I hear ya there, the thing is your right when they get to that age the plastic can get hard and brittle and often times it will break apart no matter what you do. If that happens i do one of two things, push the new connector together and use some blace tape to secure the two ends together or I totally remove both ends of the connector and solder the wires together and shrink wrap each one individually.

Customer:

thats what I was thinking if it came to that, to do splices, and heat shrink. (Im an aircraft mechanic) my son is also a mechanic (attends UTI in September) and he's helping me with the job. I apprieciate your time, have a great evening!!!

Dave :

Thanks you too. I know you will get it done one way or the other. Please remember to accept. Thanks a lot and if you have any further questions as you go forward with the door just come back to this thread and ask. The thread is always available even after accepting and you never have to accept more then once no matter how long it takes us to get threw everything.

Customer:

roger that! enjoy your 4th Dave!